What's new
What's new

Heavy Ten Cross Feed - No thrust beaings?

jmgalvin

Plastic
Finally getting around to working on my pedestal base Heavy 10 with a taper attachment. Took the cross feed apart and noticed the dial assembly has no thrust bearings, its a direct reading plain steel dial. Was this common?

Also does anyone know where I can get a direct reading satin chrome dial for the cross feed and regular satin chrome dial for the compound?

Thanks

Jim

Well this is funny I was just about to post to ask where you get the thrust bearings for a heavy 10 cross slide and taper shaft...see attached pics
they are 3/8 ID .683 OD and around .250 high or thick..
Can any one tell me where to get these my bearing guys here can't find them and they are so small there is no bearing numbers on them
just two races and a brass cage with steel balls in it all separate pieces
Thanks for nay help with this hope the pics help the original poster
PS its a CL8187RB s/n 20389R...about a 1979 Tool room Heavy 10 w Taper attachment

001 (Small).jpg002 (Small).jpg

I believe the closest that you will find is Boston Gear 17195 bearings. The difference is that they are .280" thick so you would have to modify to account for that, or have someone surface grind the races down to make them .250" thick.

You might try flipping the races around to the unused side and and see if you can get more life out of the originals.
I seem to recall that SB made the originals in house.

Finally getting around to working on my pedestal base Heavy 10 with a taper attachment. Took the cross feed apart and noticed the dial assembly has no thrust bearings, its a direct reading plain steel dial. Was this common?

Also does anyone know where I can get a direct reading satin chrome dial for the cross feed and regular satin chrome dial for the compound?

Thanks

Jim
Yes, it is standard on early heavy tens. Some people add them but I don't think there is any reason to on a machine with a taper attachment and telescoping feed screw.

Edit: Actually I wonder if it isn't a matter of machines with taper attachments not getting the bearings rather than model years. I do know they added the thrust bearings to the taper side of the feed screw at some point.

If your machine has small dials and you want to upgrade to the larger dials, you'll need more than just the dials themselves. Do a search, lots of information on this.

Teryk

First of all let me thank the crew here for all the help
This is follow up to my issue finding thrust bearings for my my cross slide on my heavy 10 and as it turns out
also the clutch in the apron, it also has the same bearings and with my cross having the taper attachment
there are six of these in total so far. A very close alternate is available from MSC the only real difference is the SB
bearing is .250" thick and the MSC one is.280" thick but it turns out its the outside races that are different and is
you are lucky like I was then can reverse your old washer races and use the new centers ball carriers from MSC
and your golden, the other neat thing I did was to go to Ebay and buy some new chrome steel balls, they are available
in 3/32" which works perfectly with these center carriers, the carriers are made of brass in my old units with a very tiny
dimple on one side that holds the ball in place only really needed until the units is assembled. I also used this method
to repair the larger thrust bearing on the clutch assembly the one furthest back on the apron, I pushed all the 1/8"
balls out of the brass carrier and replaced them as my races were in good condition, I had to re-dimple two holes
but a small flat screw driver and a little tap with a hammer fixed that and then the new ball stays in place.

The bearings from MSC are Boston units 17195 which has a number of AC 10-1k on the package
hope this helps some other guys doing a HEAVY 10 overhaul !!!

Back