What's new
What's new

Help on evaluating a south bend heavy 10

It looks complete. I wonder why he is using the half nuts to feed. They should only be used to thread. The star knob should be used to engage the clutch for feeding. You may ask if the seller about this.... But can you text it under power? . Check the back gears and bull gear for broken teeth. . Check the sliding gear on the banjo and the reversing tumbler for damage as well. . Looks like a decent machine. Bonus with the taper attachment

From watching the video I'd guess the seller dose not know how to operate a lathe, using the halfnut lever ( threading feed) for straight turning. If this is how the lath has been used consistently most likely the halfnuts and Leed screw are worn out.

Condition wise the video doesn't revel much, looks mostly unmolested with the exception of Allen head screws tapped in the saddle top.

how much is the asking price.? has tool post and holder and a chuck, a good thing..oh and a tail stock chuck and center.

Very definitely has some broken and/or missing teeth in the back gear. Good set of SB back gears only make a light ''sewing machine'' noise.

Herb Kephart

I wouldn`t say there`s any broken gears just from that, cell phone videos and the like pick up everything.

my Sheldon,which in reality ran very quiet, sounded like crap in ipod videos in backgear.

agree the operator doesn`t seem to know what he`s doing,plunging and feeding with the half nuts.

certainly check all the gears but I wouldn`t judge this one from that video.

I`d say read up on it, take some ISO32 or SAE10 oil with you(betting the seller has no idea where to oil it), oil the crap out of everything and run it through all settings,but stay off the smallest cone pulley(highest speeds)- until you buy it (if you do) and can get it home for a for a good cleaning- which it surely hasn`t had in a coon`s age.

the ISO32 or SAE10 isn`t the ideal oil for everything but will suit well enough to evaluate it.

the point I can`t stress enough is to read up on it so you understand how to operate everything- then a quick oiling and thorough evaluation shouldn`t take more than 10 minutes.

about the only thing the video tells you is it *seems* complete,and the half nuts work- could be a complete POS,nearly pristine, or anything in-between.

no way to tell other than in-person.

good luck!

I went to see it today, the lathe bed was badly worn, so worn you could see it. The gears and everything else was in good condition, except the carriage it needed a new saddle, new compund, and new lead screws. There was no screws covering the places that said "oil" on the saddle or the compund. It was used for the war effort. The guy said he read the South Bend "How To Run A Lathe" book but it seemed all he got from it was how to lace a belt... and the belt was on backwards. I don't know how he is going to get 1900$ for it, he would be better off by selling the parts instead of it as a whole.

Back