What's new
What's new

Help ID & approximate age of lathe

animal12

Stainless
Howdy folks . I may go look at a lathe later this week that the owner say's is a Heavy 10 . He also say's that the lead screw doesn't work . Is tat probably a broken key , or maybe something worse ? I will be able to know more when I get there
. I am trying to attach some pic's to get confirmation of the model # & maybe approximate age . Would this model have power crossfeed if the leadscrew was working ? Are parts available still for these older lathes? .
Im sure I will have many more questions if I buy this one or another .
tks animal
lathe 1 (Custom).jpglathe 2 (Custom).jpglathe 3 (Custom).jpg

Carl is correct; it's a 9" South Bend, not a Heavy 10, and no pwr crossfeed. The longitudinal power feed comes directly from the leadscrew threads. There's very little complexity to that lathe - if the leadscrew doesn't work, it's probably because he doesn't have the end gears to turn it. Or it turns, and there's a problem with the half nuts in the apron.

There's a set of change gears necessary to make that lathe useful; without them, you won't be doing any threading. I'd say that the seller knows little about the lathe and without those gears, I wouldn't offer much more than maybe $400, figure a set of change gears at about $200.

Date of mfg is sometime after 1938, probably a 1940's machine, but there are others here who can make a better guess. You can get parts, they'll be used. I wouldn't expect much parts-wise from the current SBL company.

Paul

Back