What's new
What's new

Help ID please

GadgetGuy

Plastic
Hello, recently I acquired a South Bend catalog # CLK8187AB lathe.
It came through a friend whose company was liquidating old machinery and tooling, and I got it and several other machines for scrap price.
My question is, are these considered more of a hobby machine, or are they heavy enough to do some good accurate work on?
It is in very good condition, the ways are flawless and other than needing a fresh coat of paint, I really can’t find any issues with it. It has been babied.
What are these going for?
In addition to the lathe, I also acquired in the same deal a Lincoln disc/belt 12/6 combo sander in pristine condition, a nice heavy duty drill press, and a welding fume extraction machine.
My price was $200 TOTAL... I got lucky!
Is this lathe worth having around for the long haul (toolmaking/medium duty hobby machining) or should I sell it and wait for a bigger machine to come along?
Thanks for your input!

It's not just a hobby lathe. They helped win a war. If the condition is as you say it would be a great starter lathe. Accuracy is in the hands of the operator. It may be a little slower but will do nice work. You basically got it for next to nothing.
Give it a try. Be patient because it's not an overnight talent. I'm still learning the lathe.
The flat belt can save the lathe with a new operator.

I’m almost 20 years in the trade, so no problem with operation or anything. I’m just used to larger 14-20” swing machines so I wanted to inquire about this before I settle on making it an official part of my little home shop.

I’m almost 20 years in the trade, so no problem with operation or anything. I’m just used to larger 14-20” swing machines so I wanted to inquire about this before I settle on making it an official part of my little home shop.

Too get the specs there is no better website than this.
The SBL Workshop
The catalogs are great and you can get a breakdown of your serial number.
You may not be happy with it. I'll give you back your $200 for it :):):):D
You could make some profit on your deal.

Back