What's new
What's new

Help Identifying a SB Lathe

zargnut

Plastic
Hi,
I am a newbie... I have graduated from a cheap import to an old SouthBend 10L? 10k? I submitted my serial number for a parts card... and was looking on the SB site trying to ID the lathe based on the serial number and catalog number. It is a cute 3.5' bed, Under motor mount with a base.

The SN is 5546KKR7
Catalog: C|7870Z

I had to disassemble it to move it... and am taking the opportunity to rebuild it... The only piece which I have found to be broken is the cap on the head stock. Other than some normal wear, it looks really solid. I am working my way through the ILION rebuild book and scanning ebay.. any other advice for getting replacement parts like half nuts, cross feed and compound feed scales, handles, and threaded rod (sorry for incorrect naming)

Excited about the learning experience of the rebuild.. other than stripping the paint on the cabinet.

thanks
dan

I also think your serial number might actually read "RKR", maybe? This would indicate a heavy 10 with the quick change gear box and friction feed clutch.

eBay is your parts source.
Post some photos!

Hi, here are some picks.
RE: Broken piece... it looks like the cast iron top of the beetle headstock has a broken rear tab which likely is supposed to have a pivot pin.. Ie I can't rock back the top without it falling off.. There is a picture of it sitting in a parts tray.

I had to disassemble the lathe to get it out of the sellers basement, so I guess this kinda made my decision to rebuild it easier... :-)

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.57.23 PM.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

217-7 Southbend Lathe, Initial picks and disassembly - Google Photos

It is a 10K (light ten) made in middle of 1956.

allan

Great, thank you.. that leading KKR was confusing me.
Can you confirm.. did all of these models have a top that pivoted on a hinge pin? I can't see any broken castings on the actual headstock...

Back