What's new
What's new

Help with lathe ID

Daddyo

Plastic
I picked up this lathe on ebay. From what I have found through research is that I THINK it is a Workshop model. It reads 'Catalog Number 420-AN' on the plate, but I can not find a serial number on this lathe anywhere, not on the bed near the tailstock or anywhere else. The web site might crap out after too many hits, but give it a try.

http://members.cox.net/qmaker/

Thanks,
Todd L

I believe that is what the 9 inch looked like before South Bend re patterned the 9 inch lathe to what we know today.

The was no "Heavy 10", I believe the next size up was the 11 inch, then the 13.

I wonder if anyone knows if the 10 inch and the 11 inch ever were in production at the same time.

I am surprised that there seems to be no serial number. I did a cosmetic restoration of a 13 X 4 South Bend from 1917 and it had a serial number, that is how I found it's age.

My high school in Endicott N.Y. had 11 inch serial no. 37186 and that was from 1929.

My 11 inch machine is serial no. 70032 and that is from Oct 38, 1936.

If you find a number these might bracket the age of your machine.

Looks a lot like my Workshop Precision ser.no. 42907 for which Rose was unable to locate in South Bends records.

One off thing about mine is that the distance between the bolts that hold the apron to the saddle were an inch closer than standard. When I converted to "A" configuration I had to replace the saddle inorder to attach the "A" apron. I'm not home now so I can't tell you what those dimensions were.

John

If you have a copy of the Lindsay reprint of the 1934 South Bend Catalog, this lathe is shown on page 31. 420 AN is a 9-inch Toolmaker 1934 South Bend Horizontal Motor Driven Lathe. I don't know how many other years it was made, but I have a 1930 catalog, and it is not listed in that. It is not in the 1936 catalog either. It really should have a serial number, which is on the front of the ways on the tailstock end. You may have to clean up the lathe to find it.

Thanks KrisG, I was thinking maybe the serial # was hidden under layers of paint or what not, I will find out soon when I tear it apart. Thanks again for the info !!

Todd L

Back