What's new
What's new

Help with lathe ID No Serial Number?

splashgtp

Plastic
Hello, picked up first lathe a couple weeks ago and can't seem to figure things out, such as a date and model. There is no serial stamped in normal location. However there is numbers stamped on the back of the bed. I looked through all the old South Bend catologs, searched online and even called SB parts and they didn't know. Some parts are off machine due to cleaning. Any info would be GREAT!!! Thanks in advance

Tag left cover: Swing 16, Bed 6, Cat # 117CT
Tag right lower bed side 1761
Number stamped on back side of lathe bed 21925
Gearbox stamped QCG101
Motor braket stamped ULT101
Thread gauge stamped THD101TH
Compound slide stamped C101
Headstock stamped under flip up gear cover HGXK&
Has Dayton 2HP motor , 115V/230V K813
Has a 3 step pully leather belt is on
Spindle Thread is 2-3/8" 6 TPI

Attachments

• 100_1248.jpg
    100_1248.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 100_1252.jpg
    100_1252.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 100_1256.jpg
    100_1256.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_1255.jpg
    100_1255.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 369
I'm not sure what the number is stamped in your bed. It's definitely not a serial number, because it would date your lathe older than it actually is. Your lathe would have been probably been made in the late 30's to mid 40's. I've seen lathes without serial numbers, but they usually never have the plate with the catalog number on it either. During the war effort South Bend made a few customs, and mixed and matched pieces occasionally.

I know Mike at SB personally, and I also know they don't carry any of the operational literature on the older SB lathes. If you are wanting more information on operating your lathe, you would need to find an older version How to Run a Lathe. SB never made individual operational manuals for each model of their lathe. They just made this book and updated it as they changed their lathes. You just have to make sure you find an older version like this one:

SOUTH BEND How to Run a Lathe Manual 1930s-1950s

The newer versions won't cover your gearbox. As for model numbers, SB really just treated the catalog number as the model number.

I hope that helps,

Matt

Cat number 117C shows up in the 1948 catalog with a single tumbler gearbox. Cat number CL117C shows up in the 1952 catalog as an 8 speed lathe with 6' bed: page (13) but by that time it is a double tumbler gearbox. Your lathe has large dials and the lever clutch, so I'm inclined to guess 1948-51 timeframe. I assume the 'T' indicates the turret.

Oh- and you did look under the turret for the serial, right? The turret might also have the serial stamped on it, as they were fitted together?

allan

Somebody went to one of the auctions at the factory a while back...:scratchchin:
The tag in your last picture is the South Bend Lathe asset number. All the machines in the shop had a tag like that. They had a lot of 16" turret lathes used in production. Of course that had upgrades over the years like the big dials and toggle lever clutch.
Did you buy it from somebody who went to one of the auctions? Somebody painted it a none standard color.:toetap:
Ted

A small wire brush applied to the area where the stampings should be may reveal the numbers.The brush im talking about is almost as small as a tooth brush.

I bought it from a family ran farm equipment dealer. I was told they took it in as a trade about 10-15 years ago from a guy who had it for personal use. The dealer used it only a handful of times, due to the fact it was a lot easier to take a part to someone that knew what they were doing.

As to the paint, that is my rattle can black. Machine was pretty rough looking. The old paint is over 1/8" thick in areas, chipped and flaking. Of course the right way would be to disassemble, blast, prime and paint. I just wanted to get it in somewhat acceptable condition.

One thing I can't figure out is using a live or dead center in the turret. On a regular tail stock you turn the hand wheel to hold pressure against the work piece. On the turret how is pressure held?

"One thing I can't figure out is using a live or dead center in the turret. On a regular tail stock you turn the hand wheel to hold pressure against the work piece. On the turret how is pressure held?"
On the front gib, second screw on the right, should be for locking the ram in place.

Many of the SB lathes used in production at the plant didn't have serial numbers

Ted

Back