What's new
What's new

Help! Pressing out reversing gear

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

Still working on my first south bend 10 heavy... disassembling the reversing gear. The twin gears came off the bracket nicely, but the reversing gear itself seems to be going nowhere despite following the directions in the ilion book, ie remove the nut and stud gear, then pressing out the shaft with a arbor press (3 ton).

The lathe is a 1940 era machine and has no felts or oil passages on the bracket for the twin gears, though it has a oiler git for the main reversing gear shaft. The key also doesn't look like a step key, but probably a single flat piece.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The rotation of the gear is a bit rough so wanted to get it apart and clean it out and replace the felt I expect to find...

Picture: IMG 1253 — imgbb.com

Thanks!
Phil

Last edited:
The last one I took apart was so stuck that it ended up bending the shaft just before the gear broke loose. Soak it in Kroil for a couple days and try a little bit of heat.

I had so much pressure on one that I'd swear pieces were going to fly if I went any more. If it takes lube, spins nice, and does not clank up and down, then you may want to leave it be. At least until you know have replacement parts available.

Thanks! Two nights in penetrating oil, heat gun... then a few careful taps
With a 5lb hammer with an aluminum shim protecting the threads did the job!

Once broken free the press pushed it out the rest of the way
With no damage.

Hopefully going back in will be easier! :)

Phil

I was working on this same part today. Finally got it apart by drilling a 1-3/16" hole in the face of a 2x4, reinforcing the edges with some angle iron, inserting the housing through it and then using a standard gear puller. I had to heat it 2 or 3 time and soaked it with kroil a few times as well.

wow, must have been proper stuck. I pushed mine apart with an arbor press without any fuss. Not a hydraulic press either, its the standard rack and pinion hand operated type.

Back