What's new
What's new

Help with South Bend Lathe

mandmj

Plastic
Hello, I am considering purchase of a South Bend lathe but would like some advice/help from the experts. I am relatively new to the world of machining, but have been doing research for a while now. I have come across what I believe to be a 10K but wanted to be certain of its type/origin (USA/Korean/etc) and some idea of its value before I spend hard earned cash. I live in the central southern US (Oklahoma) and lathes don't grow on trees down here, so I figure prices are a bit higher here. The lathe pictured is listed for $1500 but includes minimal tooling (what is shown is it). Is this worth pursuing, or should I bide my time? Heavy 10s in my area are listed at $2-3000 typically but may not be single phase machines. Use of the machine would be for hobby work, repair of workshop/household items, and general fun. Thank you for any assistance the group can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 00f0f_lpu8vaZuEP5_1200x900.jpg
    00f0f_lpu8vaZuEP5_1200x900.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 00v0v_jsGo9gETOqd_1200x900.jpg
    00v0v_jsGo9gETOqd_1200x900.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_9084.jpg
    IMG_9084.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 291
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 212
Personally, I wouldn't be a reluctant to by a 3 phase motor since you can buy a VFD and run it on single phase for under $200. But, be that as it may, the lathe pictured is a bench top lathe and if that's what you're looking for it might do the job. It won't be a rigid as a heavy 10 floor lathe would be by any stretch... It has a carriage stop and threading dial so those are pluses. I don't know if that's a standard quick tool post or not from these pictures. With only a 3 jaw chuck, if you're going to do any serious work you'll want a 4 jaw as well, but you can buy this later. No steady rest or follower rest is included. You'll also have to spend some money on tooling since there isn't much there.

Where I am, western NY state, deals come along where lathes are fully equipped with multiple chucks, collets, tool holders, tooling, etc.. But if that isn't the case in your area I'm not the one to tell you if this is a good deal or not.

Good luck and I hope others that are more familiar with lathes in your neck of the woods can offer some help.

Ted

The toolpost is a FIMS. They've been out of production for a number of years, so additional holders are harder to come by. Rest of the machine looks decent, I guess. Serial number is approximately 1983 build date.

allan

At first glance, it looks like it might be "OK." It's obviously a veteran of some pretty steady use. I would check the spindle bearings for play and I would look carefully at the spindle taper and the tailstock taper seat areas. There is what appears to be some nasty corrosion on the tapered shanks of the drill chuck and the center. The drill shank also looks a little ....well, "gnarly" as if it's been spun in the tailstock and/or attacked with a pipe wrench or vise jaws. If they're messed up, they'll never seat in the taper properly. If the tapered bores of the spindle and tailstock ram are messed up or corroded, you'll have a difficult time ever getting anything to seat properly in them.

It may very well be a fine lathe for what you want but look carefully or see if you can find somebody with some experience to go and look at it with you.

Looks like a good ridge line on the front way which is normal of lots of wear.

Above post that lathe is not really that old for a SB...Ours is from the 40 ' s and has much less so combined with statements regarding the tail stock it may have been heavily used with not so great care.

Missing too much for the price.

Not sure of local market though, our area is tight too being out west but they do show up.

Our 14.5 was very well tooled but very well covered in gunk but only about 300 bucks or so.

Time is money...If you want a lathe now it coats more money...

Consider larger search ring as traveling further may get better deal.

We consider the above over priced by huge amount!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Looks like a good ridge line on the front way which is normal of lots of wear.

Above post that lathe is not really that old for a SB...Ours is from the 40 ' s and has much less so combined with statements regarding the tail stock it may have been heavily used with not so great care.

Agreed. Look for grinding dust in the chip pan and elsewhere. Just a guess but something tells me that lathe has seen lots of sanding or grinding work done with it and no proper protection or lubrication.

Teryk

Thank you for all the input. I'm leaning to passing on this one currently as well. If I get the time, I may go look at it but its a bit of a drive and time is tight currently. Thanks again.

Should be a tag. But am pretty sure that by the 80s all the 10ks were Korean. Also believe they were all hard beds by then.

Seems like I remember seeing a tag on the back of the bed at tail end on one.

If I may make another request of the group's experience, where is the wear most visible on this machine? I would like to learn as much as I can in this process. I certainly agree the thing is filthy, and the dials and tail stock quill look to need...help. The only other machines I've looked at the ways had large grooves near the top of the v shape near the headstock or were so rusty as to be have been used boat anchors. Thanks again for the education.

By far the best thing you can do is just wipe down the ways, give it a visual inspection,check all functions. And oil if needed.

Take a bar of mild steel and a sharp tool bit...you want about a 1.5"ish bar about 8" long....chuck it so about 6" is sticking out and take a light cut without tailstock support...check for taper.

besides swing, it is worth deciding ahead of time what length will suit for a while as a first lathe.
You are probably ok with only a 3.5' bed, but maybe not if the stuff you envision making includes 2' long & longer parts that won't fit through the bore.

That said, when something close to your needs comes up, get it and get busy. Let that inform your next lathe purchase.

I did start out expecting my first lathe to be in the 14 - 15" swing x 40" btw centers capacity.
What I found for my first lathe was an extremely well tooled Hardinge 2nd op at a yard sale with all the accessories including turret and chase threading for $145. Picked up a few more of those style lathes, and later went to an auction to buy a Hardinge HLV-BK. But 2 friends wanted it more, so i bid on the filthy SB 10K with all the accessories, collets, chucks, steady, follow, taper, stops, etc, etc, etc. for $400 or so. I've re-scraped it since, it is still ugly, but it has actually proven to fit most of my needs. The biggest problem with the 9/10K is the tiny bore through the spindle. I keep threatening to graft a Hardinge headstock onto it for the 5c capacity and reduced duplication of spindle/work holding tooling. but there may now be too many other projects for me to complete before passing out of this vale. :) Moral - get one and get busy before it's too late.

smt

Hello,
I was in your exact same position and my friend gave me a 10K. I knew nothing about lathes. Mine was a grimy mess. I bought two books and proceeded to disassemble, clean and repaint. A long and process, but I made myself not get in a hurry, took pictures of everything before a took it apart, bought the repair kit, painted and reassembled. Youtube is also a great resource when you get stuck. Also, mine was a 3 phase and I read up on VFD's (which, again, I knew nothing about). I bought one, wired it up and works like a charm. Took about 9 months of weekends. Needless to say, I now understand how it works and everything about it. I also bought several parts from ebay and have the spares. In retrospect, it cost me 9 months but I am glad I did it. If you choose to go this route, I am happy to help be a resource to lean on.

Thanks that's very kind. I've been watching tubalcain and this old tony on YouTube for a couple of months now and learning a lot there. I'm just waiting and watching for the right machine/price ratio for now. Really jealous of the machines on eBay up north. Nice heavy 10s for 1500 would be great but nothing like that down here yet.

Thanks that's very kind. I've been watching tubalcain and this old tony on YouTube for a couple of months now and learning a lot there. I'm just waiting and watching for the right machine/price ratio for now. Really jealous of the machines on eBay up north. Nice heavy 10s for 1500 would be great but nothing like that down here yet.

The last Heavy 10 I bought I had shipped from half way across the country for $125 with Central Transport. That is dirt cheap and cheaper than gas and a hotel to drive get one.

Just sayin'...

Back