What's new
What's new

Hendey or South Bend lathe?

Neeeick

Plastic
Hello everyone,

Wondering if i could get some opinions on which lathe is "better" and why. Or which do you prefer..
I have recently bought a Hendey #1x30, but curius about a 1979 S.B. 13x40 for sale. I dont have room for both in my shop. Your opinions please! thanks!

The H is made for every day use by industry - a heavy well designed machine highly rated as an industrial grade tool room machine

The SB is a light duty antique design favored by training organizations

I have a SBL 13 x 40 and I have a Hendey #1 × 30. The SBL 13 weighs about 1500 lbs while the Hendey weighs about 2500 lbs. My 1952 Hendey cost $4500 in 1952. These numbers should give some idea about the design and duty these lathes are capable of handling.
The SBL is a good lathe for occasional use as it is easy to use and used parts are available. If the Hendey is in good shape, you are unlikely to ever need a part. As I downsize, the Hendey will remain alongside my Monarch 10EE. The other lathes will go.
Bruce Norton

Assuming they're of nearly equal condition, the only thing the SB has going for it might be the 10" of extra length.

I say might because some SB's were measured on bed OAL, not center to center.

Back