What's new
What's new

Here might be a good lathe deal SB Tornado, Detroit.

Nothing to do with it just noticed it seems a nice lathe.

Lathe Southbend Tornado

You would not want the top of the cross slides flaked, unless you are selling the machine to someone who is impressed by it. Flaking should be on the underside of the saddle, cross slide and compound, not on the visible surfaces. having flaking on the visible surfaces just invites chips to be caught in it.

dee
;-D

Nothing to do with it just noticed it seems a nice lathe.

Lathe Southbend Tornado

I would stay away from this POS like the plague. Purchased one of these new for our new machine shop program, could not keep it running. Problem was a weak link in the mechanism used to engage longitudinal and transverse feeds. It kept breaking when students tried to engage feed. Other than replacing the link, South Bend did not have a cure. After replacing the link several times, we got rid of this POS. The machine was impressive to look at, but totally useless.

I would stay away from this POS like the plague. Purchased one of these new for our new machine shop program, could not keep it running. Problem was a weak link in the mechanism used to engage longitudinal and transverse feeds. It kept breaking when students tried to engage feed. Other than replacing the link, South Bend did not have a cure. After replacing the link several times, we got rid of this POS. The machine was impressive to look at, but totally useless.

I had not intended to buy it but thanks for that information. the cross slides flaked yes that is another issue.

Back