What's new
What's new

Hi all... in need of a carriage lock.

Tennessee Tater

Plastic
Hi everyone, have been a member here for over a year. I browse and try to learn, I'm not a machinist, not even close. So I read your posts & try to glean as much from them as I can. You have taught me a lot.
Ive always been interested in gunsmith work and tinkering in the shop, so when the opportunity to pick up a South Bend 13 that was in good shape for a fair price came along, I bought it.
That was a little over a year ago. It came out of a local high school, so it hasn't seen industry use, but has been subjected to teens that were learning, just like me.
So I've slowly been aquiring parts & repairing it. I'm down to needing a carriage lock, have been watching ebay for months, haven't come across a single one.
If anyone has one laying around that they would part ways with, I'm sure interested

Thanks

Hi everyone, have been a member here for over a year. I browse and try to learn, I'm not a machinist, not even close. So I read your posts & try to glean as much from them as I can. You have taught me a lot.
Ive always been interested in gunsmith work and tinkering in the shop, so when the opportunity to pick up a South Bend 13 that was in good shape for a fair price came along, I bought it.
That was a little over a year ago. It came out of a local high school, so it hasn't seen industry use, but has been subjected to teens that were learning, just like me.
So I've slowly been aquiring parts & repairing it. I'm down to needing a carriage lock, have been watching ebay for months, haven't come across a single one.
If anyone has one laying around that they would part ways with, I'm sure interested

Thanks

I can't think of a part that would be easier to make. The one on my 16" is cast, about 3/4" thick with a threaded hole in it. Just make one out of steel, easy peasy.

Thanks Moonlight, I have never seen what one looks like, had thought of that, but looking at others that have nubs etc wasn't sure if that would work. I'll give it a shot.

Tennessee Tater,
I live in Kingsport and will help if we are not too far apart. I have 3 of the 13" South Bend double tumbler lathes. I made a drawing for the carriage lock a couple years ago and shared it with a poster living in Knoxville. I made one prototype from aluminum to be sure it fits properly. The very gracious poster from Knoxville sent me 3 carriage locks he made from steel.
If you want photos and the drawing, I will look for it.
I tried the flat plate idea but it does not work as good as the original design.
Bruce

I found a 2014 reply I made to a posting by Old Car. Just search this South Bend forum for : 13 Carriage Lock
You will find a photo in post #12.
Bruce

Thanks toolnut
I searched 13 carriage lock & all that came up was this thread.
Other than a flat piece with a hole, I probably won't be able to make one, I dont have a mill, and no machining experience.
I'm attempting to learn on my own.
You must like your 13's, owning 3 of them says a lot.
I bought mine on sealed bid from a local high school when they bought new Chinese lathes. Ive had it a little over a year, have rebuilt the apron, crossfeed, replaced the compound, added a dorian bxa toolpost, and now starting on the gears. Found the reversing lever has broken at the boss holding one of the twin gears, have one coming from ebay.
I tried to cut some 16tpi threads, lathe cut 12tpi.
Found out from a different thread that I have metric transposing gears. Looking for a 24t 16dp change gear now.

I really appreciate the help from everyone on here, there is a goldmine of knowledge, & the memvers seem happy to share
I'm in Clarksville, look me up if you get over this way.

I live in Clarksville

Tennesee:

Now that you have a pic and dimens, just take a appropriate sized piece of CI or steel and go at it with a hack saw, drill, tap and a file to make it look pretty !

Jim C.

Do you need the carriage lock and the carriage lock bolt? Or just the carriage lock?
I may have an extra lock but not the bolt.
Bruce

Thanks for the link, I'm going to take Jim C's advice & give it a shot. To be honest, I don't know that it is really needed,

Bruce if you have one and will part ways with it I would greatly appreciate it.
I probably won't be able to work with the lathe after this week until after the 8th, picking up the 6 & 2 yr old granddaughters from Orlando for a couple of weeks. So I have lots of summer activities planned with them.
Dan

Do you need the carriage lock and the carriage lock bolt? Or just the carriage lock?
I may have an extra lock but not the bolt.
Bruce

Bruce, do you still have a lock available? I tried to PM you, but you seem to be a popular guy. I was going to see if I could get the sketch if you still have it. Thanks.

Chris

Back