What's new
What's new

hi guys 9 inch s.b in need of help

torence20

Plastic
hi guys im new as you can see. not trying to b.s anyone im NOT a machinist im a hobbiest ive used a metal lathe in the past but have no experience setting one up. i recently bought a southbend 9inch swing 3 ft bed. calouge number 22-yb serial number 38919A i bought this from a guy whom was moving and his place had already had the electricity shut off so i couldnt see it in action when i purchased it but i got alot of extras with the machine its used but seems to be in good shape. anyways i have leveled the machine. its mounted on a cabinet but the spindle wont spin. i have taken the main bearing covers off and it spins very free but as soon as i put even a slight pressure on them it locks up. any advice? thanks in advance

I happen to own 34983, which is also a 22-YB. Note for your future purchases that your machine is a wide-bed 9 inch 'Junior', made in the middle of 1928. It is NOT a 9 inch 'workshop model C', and almost no parts interchange between those. Most tooling is the same, however, as the tailstock is MT2 and the spindle is 1.5x8.

You need to do a better job describing your spindle problem? You say 'as i put even a slight pressure on them' - what do you mean by 'them'? the bearing caps? You need shims under the bearing caps to maintain clearance.

allan

thanks for the info allen and yes i was talking about the bearing caps. there are shims under them already.but if i tighten them down even finger tight it wont spin

I believe the bearing caps are like engine connecting rod/crankshaft caps and machined in place.
Try moving the caps from one end of to the other end of the spindle.

I would not do that. They are nothing like atuo bearings with babbit. They have already mated to the spindle.

Just add more shims.

Ed S

They don't interchange, different sizes. Try adding more shims, sounds like you don't have enough. Or, maybe the edge of one of the shims or a bit of felt or something is getting caught in the bearing.

allan

A cheap way to play around with this is to cut shims from note cards and/or manilla folder stock. They don't need to be perfect (holes and such). These material tend to be surprisingly uniform and will allow you get a determination of how far out you are.

Mike

Pop/beer cans are a great source of shims.
Unused heavy duty Al throw away roasting pans or pie tins work too.
But then you don't get to drink the beer.
Josh

ok now lathe turns. Now check for play. mount bar in spindle, lift and check for play using dial indicator. Do for each end of spindle. Add or remvove shims as required +0.001" to +0.002"

Search using Google for South Bend Bulletin H-4 "Keep you Lathe in Trim" There are more usefull bulletins, and videos on UTUBE as well.

Last edited:

Back