What's new
What's new

Hinge Wedge for 13" South Bend Lathe with L00 Headstock

Marlon Bell

Plastic
I'm looking for a hinge wedge, South Bend part # AS3721TH1. I imagine that many of these have been lost from their machines over the years, and I'll probably have to make one from scratch, but if someone has one they would like to sell, please let me know. I'm estimating that the inside diameter of the "hook" is about 3.125" to allow clearance for the spindle when it's running or the wedge is being swung into position across it. Could someone with a 13" L00 machine measure this part and see if I'm close?

Although the post in Practical Machinist below is for a SB 10L, a very similar part should accompany any SBL with an L00 tapered headstock. Check out the excellent photos near the end of the post. This part allows the collar locking the face plate, chuck, or collet holder to thrust against it and force the attachment off the tapered spindle using the spanner. Once it moves the slightest bit, the taper releases and the attachment is free. The "wedge" can then be hinged out of the way to the rear of the machine. By not having the wedge in place when installing an attachment, the user can push the attachment all the way to the bottom of the taper and let it help support the tooling while tightening the collar. With the part, changing attachments is simplified and quick.

It's also shown on page 18 of the CE3458 Lathe Parts Manual for tapered spindles.

Subject: My New 10L

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/my-new-10l-163424/

Thanks!
Marlon

Ted (latheman2) had the part. The hinge wedge arrived as promised and has been installed on my lathe. Thanks for your prompt follow-up to my inquiry and equally prompt shipment when I placed the order. I'm a happy customer!

Back