What's new
What's new

Hmmm

confederatemule

Aluminum
I looked at a South Bend Lathe today. It is 12" x 96". Has a rear mounted motor. The only info plates I found are on the legs. The asking price is $1500.00. The sign says; "Metal lathe with all attachments and tools". The shop has a dirt floor and has been dormant for over 4 years. I stopped and looked at it.

I wonder what model it is? Will I ever know? There are no gear covers.

Mule

29573187_1881489688569101_1763375923864499555_n.jpg29598319_1881489668569103_8117911548935536787_n.jpg29684119_1881489715235765_8491181623743245579_n.jpg

Johnoder, thanks for the response and link.
So, it did not come with gear covers?
Where should I look for catalog, Model, and serial numbers?
It was in working order when the man died, a little over 4 years ago. It is four miles away from me on the road I live on. The son that was showing it offered to get an extension cord to plug it in and turn it on. I declined.
It has a single phase motor on it. I does have change gears and some other tooling (?)in a box under the lathe. I didn't really get to see in.
Judging from the pictures is it worth $1500.00?
Mule

No expert, but I doubt there will be more than a serial which will be right end on top, stamped into machined cast iron in between two front ways. With that serial it can be determined if it is old enough to have come without covers. You can also look for unused tapped holes showing covers used to be there but are now gone - at least as related to spindle gearing.

The tag on the leg at the headstock end MOSTLY tells about what change gears to use for cutting various TPI threads

Something like that would REALLY have to be WANTED by someone to bring anywhere near $1500. I'd say nearer $150. It is very well likely to be at least a hundred years old and comes with a wimp motor. But I should not talk - in 1966 I ran my twenties 13 X 5 foot on a 1/3 HP washing machine motor. That $100 lathe came with a nice Jacobs drill chuck that still is in service 52 years later

Johnoder, thanks for the response and link.
So, it did not come with gear covers?
Where should I look for catalog, Model, and serial numbers?
It was in working order when the man died, a little over 4 years ago. It is four miles away from me on the road I live on. The son that was showing it offered to get an extension cord to plug it in and turn it on. I declined.
It has a single phase motor on it. I does have change gears and some other tooling (?)in a box under the lathe. I didn't really get to see in.
Judging from the pictures is it worth $1500.00?
Mule

Definitely rich on the price. Unless there is a lot that isn't seen that comes with it.
I do like the long bed, didn't know they made a 12 or 13 that long.

Heh, dirt daubers have filled the chuck key holes and the drill chuck. I bet they have filled other holes as well, and probably made a mess of the back of the apron. If you get it, spend some time cleaning it first.

And, any lathe is better than no lathe, but that price is pretty high, even in texas.

allan

I am gonna make an offer tomorrow. My only reason for wanting it is the size. I have a South Bend 9" x 30" model c. The condition, location, lack of light, being so piled up around it, etc keeps me from doing much checking for wear.

What would be a fair offer for both of us? (I know that is an almost impossible question to answer.)

Mule

There should be some kind of tooling with it, how else was the guy using it before? More tooling - higher price. If the seller is stuck at aprox $1500 then have a good look around and see what else (non lathe related) you can get thrown in to make it better for you. You should have some idea of what is there since you sort of saw it once already.
Good luck!
Did you see this other thrad?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...uth-bend-lathe-what-worth-348633/#post3152316

Wear? It is probably heavily worn. It is 100ish years old, almost nothing was hardened, and has a total loss oiling system. The aprons in these are particularly prone to damage, either through poor oiling or operator error. You should inspect the back of the apron with a mirror and light. You should also verify that power feeds and threading work as expected.

Assuming all that checks out and it only includes the tooling pictured, that is a max $500 lathe.

allan

Are any repair parts available for it?

Mule

:D That is unlikely if only due to its elderly-ness

Seriously - if you are in to ancient mechanisms, you also need to be into making parts for them from scratch

When such things get old enough, you can in all practicality forget the word "find" when it comes to acquiring parts for it

Just something as simple as a back plate or chuck that screws on that spindle nose - if you are lucky, it will have the ancient and mostly hard to find 1 7/8 - 8 nose. If you are not so lucky - something even more remote, forgotten and unobtainable - unless made by you to fit

Nothing causes more wear faster than a dirt floor shop, dust and grit everywhere you don't want it. that thing is worth maybe 3-500.00 max. I would be hard pressed to spend 100.00 on it.

Well, I bit the bullet today. I paid down and made arrangements to pay the rest when I get my ss check next month. I gave more than y'all recommended. I asked for the bottom price and it was $800.00. I agreed to pay it, but there is a story...

These pictures will show the accessories that came with it. Plus a TTC model mb-oo1 magnetic base and a dial indicator that needs a new crystal [plastic lens]. I am sure the indicator is of the same quality as the magnetic base. And a small hand held tool box full of hand reamers. I may be able to salvage 3 out of the box.

1919 South Bend 19723, [5.jpg1919 South Bend 19723, [6.jpg

Attachments

• 1919 South Bend 19723, [7.jpg
    1919 South Bend 19723, [7.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84

Back