What's new
What's new

How Can A Heavy 9 Be Distinguished From A Regular 9?

Chuck38

Aluminum
Title say it all. I have a 9 with quick change gear box and 48" bed. Don't remember the serial number, but I think it is a '40' vintage.

It has a V-belt drive from the back side with single sheave motor and single large sheave drive to the back V-belt cone.

Thanks.

Chuck38

For me the easiest way to tell the difference when looking at a photo is the half-nut handle on a 9 A , B , C , is one solid piece , on a heavy nine you can see it pins to a shaft and has a bat pressed in , and on a 9-Jr. it has a bat , but the part that engages the apron is much larger and does not show the shaft . The cone pulleys on a heavy 9 are about 1/4" wider than on the smaller nine .

The wide-bed 9 inch machine was made for many years, from 1919 until 1939. During that period, there were many changes, particularly the headstock and the apron. If they have a QCGB, it is always single tumbler. I don't think any of them ever came with a v-belt cone pulley from the factory.

The 9 inch workshop was only available with the double tumbler gearbox, or no gearbox at all.

allan

Here's the pic of my heavy 9 apron. Resembles the heavy 10, particularly the half nut handle.

Steve

Attachments

• SBL_heavy9_2.jpg
    SBL_heavy9_2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 420
th_SB10.jpg

Here is another picture of a heavy 9 apron, Mine is a 1930 model

Skip

SteveM has it right! The "Heavy 9" is a much, much heavier machine than the "Workshop" 9. The bed is wider (same width as Heavy 10) and deeper. The drive pullies are wider and larger in diameter. In the case of a change gear machine, the gears are noticeably wider on the "Heavy 9" It's not a difference you'd miss if you looked at them side by side.

A lot of guys seem to call any wide bed 9'' a ''heavy'' nine. I have a wide bed nine but it's not a heavy nine, it's an O series lathe. The O series 9'' lathes had the same width bed as a heavy ten but they also just have the normal small 3/4'' through hole in the spindle.

A lot of guys seem to call any wide bed 9'' a ''heavy'' nine. I have a wide bed nine but it's not a heavy nine, it's an O series lathe. The O series 9'' lathes had the same width bed as a heavy ten but they also just have the normal small 3/4'' through hole in the spindle.

I think that the spindle is an early/late model thing with the heavy 9. Mine is 1936. The 1937 bulletin shows it (model 409-YN) and calls it "Series R"

What about others out there: what's your year and spindle?

Steve

It's heavier. A LOT heavier. :-)

Looked in some catalogs. An early heavy 9 with small spindle looks like 430 pounds including the crate. A 9" model C of the same era was 320 including the crate.

That's about a 35% increase, but remember, that includes the crate. If the crate was the same for both (and yes, I realize that it might be heavier, but I need to make some assumptions) and lets say the crate weighs 50 pounds, then you are looking at the heavy weighing about 40% more.

Since I had to pull one of each out of the back of my car, my back says that's not an unreasonable estimate.

Steve

Back