Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How deep can you cut?

mbphoton is offline Aluminum

Default How deep can you cut?

Hello Everyone,

For me the answer is...I don't know!

I have a 9A. 1941 or so. It's not perfectly adjusted, the gibbs should be a bit tighter, I'm not great at grinding bits, etc.....

I was cutting some 2 inch alum for a job and was getting a little bored so I thought I'd try to go faster. I doubled my depth, no problem. Just the same usual slight hiss sound over the noise the motor itself makes.

I doubled again, no problem, again....Finally I'm cutting 3/8 deep in a single pass with just the same slight hiss sound. Beyond that I don't know how deep I could cut. I ran out of the ground part of my cutter!

My feed was slower and I didn't do it too long as the curl coming off of the cut was just too much to control, it was a mess, but 3/8 deep and the machine barely noticed it was cutting anything.

Does anybody know how deep you can really go with a Southbend?

Mbphoton

kurcules is offline Cast Iron

On my 10L on Al I've always run out of cutter before I ran out of depth, like you did. Steel is a whole other story of course.

iwananew10K is offline Titanium

there was a thread a while back where aametalmaster showed his 10K eating a 1" bar of steel in a single pass...

Bassbum2 is offline Aluminum

The other day I made an AXA tengential cutter and for a test I started with small cuts in steel and got all the way to 1/4" deep cuts, I think it could have gone more but I ran out of cutter also. I am using a Heavy 10.

Russell

Dale Lusby is online now Cast Iron

On my 10k I can take half inch (1" off diameter) in steel. I upgraded to a 1 hp baldor motor and have the serpentine belt. Cuts that pretty easily in lowest backgear on faster motor pulley (can't remember the rpm). I use HSS in Aloris holder. My original setup was a 3/4hp dayton motor which was half the size of the baldor and seemed incredibly weak. I could probably do more but haven't felt the need.

kurcules is offline Cast Iron

OK now I gotta try the experiment on steel.

I have a standard GE appliance motor. 1/3 hp 1725rpm, reversible. Nothing special, still runs great.

Mbphoton

Cool

I can do 1/2" deep with my vee belt 10K on steel...Bob
    Bob Wright Metal Master Fab
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver and Deming Drill, all others are copies.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I can do 1/2" deep with my vee belt 10K on steel...Bob
    That is F*ing amazing!

If I was doing a cut that serious I would choose a cutting fluid that smokes just so it would look cooler

Mbphoton

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbphoton View Post
    That is F*ing amazing!

If I was doing a cut that serious I would choose a cutting fluid that smokes just so it would look cooler

Mbphoton
    Sometimes i just run my chip brush over the cut as it always has some oil on it just to get the smell of an old shop in my basement. It also gets my wife beating her shoe on the floor to stop stinking up the house. Here are a few pics of the 1/2" cut...Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails big2.jpg   big1.jpg   big3.jpg  

Hello Aametalmaster,

Could you do deeper? It looks like your running out of cutter too.

I can see some blue on those chips, strings....ribbons!? Not sure, but I bet they smoke really good.

Keep up the good work.

mbphoton

Sometimes i just run my chip brush over the cut as it always has some oil on it just to get the smell of an old shop in my basement. It also gets my wife beating her shoe on the floor to stop stinking up the house. Here are a few pics of the 1/2" cut...Bob
    You are taking 1/2" deep cuts removing 1" total material at a time? That must be a bigger than average insert?

Russell

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mbphoton View Post
    Hello Aametalmaster,

Could you do deeper? It looks like your running out of cutter too.

I can see some blue on those chips, strings....ribbons!? Not sure, but I bet they smoke really good.

Keep up the good work.

mbphoton
    I will have to grind up a nice HSS tool bit as i am sure 3/4" deep wouldn't be a problem...Bob

I will have to grind up a nice HSS tool bit as i am sure 3/4" deep wouldn't be a problem...Bob
    If your gonna do that you really have to shoot some video. Wait until your wife is out of the house and smoke it up really good

Mbphoton

caracadon is offline Cast Iron

Would love to see some video of this.

I remember the days when the ladies would get together and give each other 'perms'. Nothing stunk the house up worse than that. Took me a while to figure out why the bathroom smelled of vinegar occasionally as well (back in the day).

tentacles is offline Aluminum

Depth of cut is one thing, but what kind of feed rates are you using to make those 1/4 and 1/2 cuts? I find a lot of times what limits your cut is more how well you can hang on to the work. (I need a new set of top jaws for my 6" set-tru.)

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
    Depth of cut is one thing, but what kind of feed rates are you using to make those 1/4 and 1/2 cuts? I find a lot of times what limits your cut is more how well you can hang on to the work. (I need a new set of top jaws for my 6" set-tru.)
    I was using almost the slowest feed on my Heavy 10 when I took a 1/4" deep cut. I only had a few minutes to try out the tool holder I made so I didn't push it any further than I did, I may try faster feeds the next time I get a chance.

Russell

tentacles is offline Aluminum

That's about what I thought, that those deep cuts would be really light - I tend to make a lot of .050" deep cuts at like .010" per rev feed in steel, often times a similar feed rate at .100 DOC in aluminum, depending on how tight I can grab the work. The other day I was machining some Mystery Steel, annealed suzuki crankshaft steel at this rate also do a lot of 304 / 316 stainless.

mcruff is offline Stainless

Yep, depth of cut is meaning less, its all about cubic inches of material removed per minute. With my 9" machine setup with carbide I generally rough taking a .040-.060" per side cut with the spindle running at 690rpm and the feed at around .006-.008" per revolution. That will remove a lot of material in very short order.

caracadon is offline Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by mcruff View Post
    Yep, depth of cut is meaning less, its all about cubic inches of material removed per minute. With my 9" machine setup with carbide I generally rough taking a .040-.060" per side cut with the spindle running at 690rpm and the feed at around .006-.008" per revolution. That will remove a lot of material in very short order.
    Permit me to show my ignorance. I have what I suppose amounts to an 8 speed machine (SB 16"): Four speeds out of back gear and four in back gear ranging from around 25 rpm to 900 +/-. How is it that I would know what the feed was in .001 per revolution? I will assume this is accomplished with the QCGB? I do not have an index plate on my machine and only have the TPI marked for each tumbler position on a paper chart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast