What's new
What's new

How do the gear teeth on a 9A get lubricated?

rata222

Aluminum
Hi
I did a tear down and rebuild on my 9A. I used the rebuild kit and manual purchased off EBay. Installed new wicks etc. Though I wasnt focusing on it during the gearbox assembly, I dont recall seeing any oil holes to allow lubrication directly onto the gear teeth. How are the teeth lubricated? Does it rely on oil leaking onto the shaft and getting flung outward to the gears?
I have ran the lathe a few times with the gearbox active. When I feel inside the gearbox - I dont feel any oil on the gears. Should they be getting oil directly applied? Did I miss something?
As a note - my gearbox only had one Gits oiler on the left side - not two as shown in the manual.
Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
Jim

You have to lubricate the gears manually. There are two main camps: Grease and Oil. Some say oil lets debris fly off the gears, avoiding wear and damage problems. Others say that grease makes everything run quieter and doesn't need to be applied as often.

Me? I've done both. My Sheldon gears are so well protected there is no worry about chip contamination in grease. My S.B. is a little more open. My thought is that if you are diligent about keeping lube on the gears, it isn't really a big deal what you use. If you're a slacker like me, maybe grease will 'stick around' longer between applications.

Thanks Gordon for the reply. I am referring to the gears inside the Quick Change Gear Box. I mounted the lathe on a bench with a chip pan. It is not to easy to get access to the upper gears inside. Any efficient way of doing this?
Thanks
Jim

you can use A spray can of open gear/chain lube. that is what I use, I turn the machine on, engage the gearbox, it really doesn't matter which gear combination, and carefully spray It in the gear box all the way across. Chips can get into the gearbox if you use an air hose to clean your machine. If you do not use an air hose, it is very difficult for chips to get into your gearbox. never use air to blow chips off of your machine. Use a vacuum cleaner and a small paintbrush. keeping your machine clean and properly lubricated is a big part of the operation of the lathe. Or any machine for that matter.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Thanks all for the answer. I was glad to hear that all is as it should be. I will also go the extra step and spray some lube inside.
Jim

Thanks all for the answer. I was glad to hear that all is as it should be. I will also go the extra step and spray some lube inside.
Jim

If you don't have a local source for open gear lube, Amazon sells it. I use it on the end gears and it's great.

Last edited:
Here is what I use to put a oil onto the gears of the QGB on both the 9A and 10L. I use a Synthetic gear oil 220 in weight.:scratchchin:

Chet

new oiler (1).jpgnew oiler (2).jpgnew oiler (3).jpg

Back