What's new
What's new

HOW DO I REMOVE A STUB ARBOR FROM AN ALBRECHT CHUCK

gene b

Plastic
I have 2 albrecht chucks that have 1/2" shank arbors and I want to change to # 3 morse. Problem is I can't get the arbor out of the chuck.
What is the secret method to removing the arbors from a chuck like this??? :(
Gene b

Soak it for a day in WD40, Drill and tap the bottom of the stud (should be soft enough to allow this), drill a clearance hole in a hunk of steel so it will slide over the bolt you are going to screw into the stud. Now open a vice and set the chuck on top of the vice jaws with the stub inbetween the jaws. pounding on the hunk of steel should yeild the wanted result. Gary P. Hansen

Albright chucks come apart and then you have access to a thru hole to press the arbor out. Unscrew the knurled body. The jaw guide holder and jaws will come out, along with the left handed leadscrew retainer pad. Then use a 3/8" pin to push out the arbor. --Doozer
PS- Upon re-assembly, only grease the (LH)screw. Greasing the taper that the jaws slide on will make the chuck not grip properly. Yes, I found this out the hard way.

Thanks to all who answered.
I have removed the arbors using Doozer's post.
Doing it this way is very easy. Just one thing,
be prepared to pick up a lot of ball bearings off the floor if you pull it apart and don't put some thing like a pan under it to catch them.
geneb

Albright chucks come apart and then you have access to a thru hole to press the arbor out. Unscrew the knurled body. The jaw guide holder and jaws will come out, along with the left handed leadscrew retainer pad. Then use a 3/8" pin to push out the arbor. --Doozer
PS- Upon re-assembly, only grease the (LH)screw. Greasing the taper that the jaws slide on will make the chuck not grip properly. Yes, I found this out the hard way.
Mr. Doozer,

Had to look around a bit for the right information, but I found what I needed on your post. I followed the instructions for disassembly and reassembly from the Albrecht site including only putting grease on the balls and the portion of the jaws that slide. Had to use a large channel lock plier and a pipe for additional leverage to unscrew the hood from the shell, but it came apart easily. While it was apart I pressed out the JT6 x 1/2" Straight Arbor. Pulling it apart allowed me to service it and get some swarf and other junk out of the inside of the chuck. It is smooth as silk now. The instructions to rebuild it from Albrecht are attached.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

• Albrecht Reparaturanleitung_SBF_-_Stand_06.07.2016.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 12

Back