What's new
What's new

How do I separate the toolpost slide??

Dufferdave

Plastic
I’m restoring an old South Bend 9" model C but I’m having trouble removing (disassembling) the toolpost slide. The entire compound slide area was caked with some kind of gummy, dried shellac which I’m slowly cleaning away – but it makes everything stiff and difficult to disassemble.
Anyway, I removed the gibs (on both dovetails) so the dovetails are loose, and the cross-slide came off nicely at the end of it’s travel – but not so the toolpost slide! I separated the toolpost slide from the cross slide by removing the set screws but I can’t get separate the toolpost slide and I don’t want to force anything. The toolpost slide goes to the end of it’s travel but then binds – but maybe it’s really gummed up?
OK guys, what’s the procedure here??

Hi Dave,

The compound slide can be a PITA to disassemble, compared to the cross-slide. You need to remove the bronze feedscrew nut thru the bottom of the compound base. In order to be able to remove the feedscrew nut, you need to remove the feedscrew. In order to remove the feedscrew, you need to remove the feedscrew bushing, which can be a challenge in itself (this thread shows how I dealt with it).

Even after all that, the feedscrew nut can be tough to remove, since its retained in a close-fitting hole by a setscrew, which usually raises a healthy dimple. This setscrew is visible on the base of the compound, just below the feedscrew. If the nut is stuck in its hole, you may want to drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the nut to rig up some kind of pulling apparatus.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Paula

Last edited:
Hi Paula...

Thanks so much for your timely reply and expert advice! I followed your advice to the letter and everything came apart nicely (well, came apart!) The key was in removing the lead screw bushing at dial end. I whipped up a quick spanner and was off on my mission! The Compound really needed internal cleaning so i would recommend going through the grief if you're planning to rebuild the compound/cross slide area anyway.
Thanks again - and may your chips be many!
Dave

Glad the information was helpful, Dave!

Paula

Back