Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    I use a product called Fluid Film on my mill and drill press and will on my lathe. It can be purchased from oriley's. It comes in a spray can and has lanolin in it. That's an oil from sheeps wool. I spray a light coat and wipe it down with a rag. It is a good product. It is sold as a rust preventative for metal. It doesn't leave a sticky film or inter fear with oil being added for lubrication
    FNG here but fluid film just flat works on everything. Here in northeast I almost have to use it in loader,mill,lathe. But it's not the nicest smelling stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a bit pricey but works. About 13 bucks for an aresol can but used right goes pretty far. I use the same rag and it gets saturated but not wet. It's not how much you put on as long as there is a thin film. It has lanolin which is the oil in sheeps wool.

It keeps sheep dry and they don't get rusty either. Smells like sheep.

Edit. $39 a gallon is the way too buy. I didn't know they sold it by gallon.
    Someday I'll get heat and cooling in the shop. Maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A dehumidifier is the best way to go. I keep one in my shop, and never have trouble with condensation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    It's a bit pricey but works. About 13 bucks for an aresol can but used right goes pretty far. I use the same rag and it gets saturated but not wet. It's not how much you put on as long as there is a thin film. It has lanolin which is the oil in sheeps wool.

It keeps sheep dry and they don't get rusty either. Smells like sheep.

Edit. $39 a gallon is the way too buy. I didn't know they sold it by gallon.
    Someday I'll get heat and cooling in the shop. Maybe
    online sometimes you can find it 8.99 a aresol. The gallon is the way too go if you live in the north with salt on the roads. Buy a cheap undercoat gun and it can be used on underside of trucks,cars,hitchs,farm equipment. I have found no better after 50 years of looking. Run a dehumidifier Also but not super great in a 30x50 with high ceilings. Plus my big one runs up the electric bill pretty good FLUID film. But again the smell isn't sweet. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used Boeshield on stuff that I need to keep from rusting.

Have a the base of a mill that has been in the garage for more than five years and it has no rust on it. Sprayed it once when I got it.

Steve

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by texasgunsmith View Post
    I like to get the inside of my shop dry, instead of dank and damp. Living in the Houston area we are warm to hot most of the year. I run the a/c when I'm working regular in there, when I'm not, I only need to run it a few hours every few days to keep humidity down. Up north, You'd probably have to run a heater and a/c more regular. Unless maybe a dehumidifier, with drain hose outside.

If your machine or parts may sit weeks or months, then I'd put a thin film of grease on exposed metal. Won't run off like oils, won't run up the electric like other options.
    When I taught high school there was always a risk of rust damage over the Summer. On the last day of school I mixed grease with oil to make a smooth syrup that the kids could brush on exposed surfaces. Never had a rust problem after that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oleracer View Post
    online sometimes you can find it 8.99 a aresol. The gallon is the way too go if you live in the north with salt on the roads. Buy a cheap undercoat gun and it can be used on underside of trucks,cars,hitchs,farm equipment. I have found no better after 50 years of looking. Run a dehumidifier Also but not super great in a 30x50 with high ceilings. Plus my big one runs up the electric bill pretty good FLUID film. But again the smell isn't sweet. Lol
    I have the problem of trying to dehumidify a 55x60 with 16 foot ceilings. For now fluid film works well. I intend on sectioning off a part of my shop for machine tools. More manageable to control the humidity.
    I'm going to set up my machines and build walls around it with a 8' ceiling accept over the taller machines. A loft would also be added storage. I have a mobile home frame I intended for a loft support. It may be more trouble than it's worth.
    My 9 inch south bend is rust free for now with the fluid film. I didn't think of treating truck undercarriage. They treat our roads with salt here also. Hell on sheet metal and frames.
    I always wanted to move to Southern California. Fires and mudslides makes me think twice. I'll stay here and wait for a tornado to destroy everything.