What's new
What's new

How far do I Go in taking apart a 10L?

Grits

Stainless
Is is a safe practice to remove the headstock on a 10L. I am going to clean, I mean clean, and repaint my new (old) lathe. It seems to be easy to remove. How difficult is it to get it back on right and pointing the right direction.

The reason I want to do this is so I can steam clean the bed, cabnet, etc.

Thanks again for your help,

Grits

Hello, i just completed a complete takedown,clean,repaint.The headstock isn't difficult to remove, but you will need to get creative with the forward(closest to chuck)bolt.There are two, the forward being underneath the bed and up and at an angle.Swivelbolt ratchet,extensions,wobble extensions,bend 7/8" sacrifical wrench,etc.Remember,it seems endless and arguous at times,but if your going to go that far, go all the way and do a ground up.You'll never kick yourself once your done.Any quetons,give me a ring.

Hi Grits,

You should be alright to remove your headstock. It is self aligning on the inner prizmatic and flat ways of the bed. I will caution you to protect the mating surfaces on the underside of the headstock. Careless handling could raise a burr and throw the alignment off. Generally, this isn't a problem but I thought I should mention it.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I don't think you will have any trouble.

As mentioned, you should probably start out
the job by rubbing as much old cutting oil,
swarf, and grunge from the bed all over your
arms.

This is how you will look by the time you
get that second headstock clamp bolt undone,
it's better just to do it right from the start
and eliminate the suspense factor.

Wear an old shirt or shopcoat, and some gloves.

Jim

Thanks for everyones help. I will shoot some images of the lathe before I go very deep. Two reasons. One so I can see how it goes back together and another to post. I did not do that with my BP mill and wish I had for more reasons than one.

Grits

Back