What's new
What's new

How to judge wear on Crossfeed and compund screws

Tojan19

Plastic
What is the best way to judge the amount of wear in the acme screws? I just got a new nut for my crossfeed. Right now it has about 40thou of slop. I'm assuming that the new nut will cut that down. But I don't know how much the screw may be worn.

When everything is perfect it will be .002-.005. That being said if you have .040 backlash changing the nut would be a good starting point as it is a wear item. I sell these nuts for south bend logans and many other brands in my ebay store and offer discounted prices to PM members. If your leadscrew is badlly worn I can also fix that. If you have any questions feel free to call or text me at 913 636 6107. Thanks Mike

What is the best way to judge the amount of wear in the acme screws? I just got a new nut for my crossfeed. Right now it has about 40thou of slop. I'm assuming that the new nut will cut that down. But I don't know how much the screw may be worn.

Turn the screw handle and make the tool mount all the way towards you ..take note how much backlash at that point..
Now move it away from you at the normal turning area (midway) take note of that backlash.
move it further away almost to the end of cross screw travel again take note of backlash.
The difference in the backlash will show how much wear the cross screw has.
(The most cross screw wear will be the midpoint.)
On a new machine backlash between the nut and screw would be .003 to .005 max

Back