What's new
What's new

How to lock 16" turret tail stock with power feed?

splashgtp

Plastic
When you want to use the turret for a live center, how do you put pressure and lock it. For example.....on a regular tail stock, you would lock it to bed then apply pressure via hand wheel. On my turret I clamp it to my bed but can't find a way to apply and hold pressure on the live center. What am I missing or is there no way to do this?

When you want to use the turret for a live center, how do you put pressure and lock it. For example.....on a regular tail stock, you would lock it to bed then apply pressure via hand wheel. On my turret I clamp it to my bed but can't find a way to apply and hold pressure on the live center. What am I missing or is there no way to do this?

There should be a screw which locks the travel of the turret. On the SB9/SB10 which are lever turrets (rather than the wheel) there are screws which align the bed turret against the shims on the opposite side. One of the screws has a small t-handle on it and is used to lock the travel down. You will need to 1) figure out how that is done on the 16" turret, 2) adjust your travel screw so it doesn't hit the stop and allow you to apply the pre-load, and 3) lock the travel of the bed turret.

I'm not familiar with the 16" turret, but the place to look is where the top portion of the turret slides on the base, that is where you should find such a screw to lock the turret travel. It should tighten against the gib to lock it in place.

Can you take a picture of the turret, specifically along the track where the bed turret travel/slide is located ???

Is your machine a 2-H ?

Cheers,
Alan

My lathe is a model 117CT, that apparently was used in the South Bend factory. I took some pics.

Attachments

• 100_1259.jpg
    100_1259.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 611
  • 100_1260.jpg
    100_1260.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 535
  • 100_1261.jpg
    100_1261.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 330
  • 100_1262.jpg
    100_1262.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_1263.jpg
    100_1263.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 321
That is most curious, but one thing I can think of is the lever behind the wheel. Does that somehow lock it? Does the end screw into the lever?

Or is there something on the front of the apron that does through the apron to secure the slide?

This might be a question for someone like Ted to answer or someone that owns one of these, but the 117 is a 16" and those don't appear with turrets. Obviously SB made it to their need, but they must have used a 2-H turret possibly. Those parts diagrams are not at the SB Workshop. They have a 13 with a wheel, but it doesn't show that lever behind the wheel. If you tighten up one of the set screws on the top of the front horizontal gib? Those are the nuts with the set screws in them from the top. Might be able to add a screw with a handle that you could tighten up in the worst case that SB didn't provide for that. I can't imagine them not incorporating some type of locking mechanism for the slide though...

I'll watch for a reply from someone that might know.

BTW, those nuts for the bottom clamps looks kinda inconvenient. Not sure if the setup on the 9/10 is better, but it has a hex bar extending out the back which I use a ratchet on It is not without fault as it's a PITA to use a ratchet with the ways on both sides. Looks like yours needs to have them tightened for front/back clamps from under with a box wrench possibly, as there is one of the front and one on the back. That just secures the base, but still to move it around the bed seems a PITA just like the smaller ones. Thinking was probably that you don't move it around much after getting it in position for a part.

The lever behind the wheel is to engage the clutch for the power feed. The lever is pushed down and a pin catches in the large nut that isn't painted (had to make one, old one was cracked and broke when I snugged up). When the turret reaches end of travel or 1 of the 6 rods in the back (not in pics) engages the stop, a pin slides out of that nut, pops lever off nut and disengages clutch. If the lead screw is turning there is power to the clutch at all times.

The clamps on the bottom are a pain to tighten. There a 4 bolts total, I used a 7/8" 12 point box end wrench so far. To tighten it is 1 point of the wench at a time.

Looking at all the old South Bend pdf's, it does look like a 2-H turret attachment.

I'm gonna mess around with it today again and see if I can figure anything out.

The lever behind the wheel is to engage the clutch for the power feed. The lever is pushed down and a pin catches in the large nut that isn't painted (had to make one, old one was cracked and broke when I snugged up). When the turret reaches end of travel or 1 of the 6 rods in the back (not in pics) engages the stop, a pin slides out of that nut, pops lever off nut and disengages clutch. If the lead screw is turning there is power to the clutch at all times.

That is a nice sounding feature that would be useful. Of course power feed is useful in itself and not on the smaller bed turrets.

The clamps on the bottom are a pain to tighten. There a 4 bolts total, I used a 7/8" 12 point box end wrench so far. To tighten it is 1 point of the wench at a time.

Same with the hex extension out the rear bottom as the 9/10 bed turrets have, only 1 point or max 2 points at a time.

Looking at all the old South Bend pdf's, it does look like a 2-H turret attachment.

I'm gonna mess around with it today again and see if I can figure anything out.

I didn't see a PDF of the 2-H turret in the PDFs for the parts lists though. Is there one that I didn't see, or were you just talking about the catalog pics?

Seems to me that the logical way for that to happen is to have a screw that applies pressure to the slide. On the 9/10 they do that as there are set screws with lock nuts going in from the side, so the pressure is applied to the side gib. I looked at all your pics though and there didn't seem to be anything that would do similar.

I was thinking it might be possible to loosen one of the lock nuts on the top of the front horizontal gib, and tighten the set screw to lock the travel. If that was so, you could replace one of them with a t-handle. That is kinda how the 9/10 do it, AFAICT, unless mine were replaced.

Cheers,
Alan

Back