What's new
What's new

How much power will I loose using a VFD?

Domodude17

Aluminum
My lathe came with a VFD and a 220v, 3 phase, 1/2 hp motor. Approximately how much power will I lose using this setup? Will I be down to like 1/4hp or 1/3hp? Both of those seem relatively low...

If the VFD is appropriately sized, there's no reason to lose any motor power at all. You didn't say, but I'm guessing you intend to supply the VFD with single-phase power. A VFD rated for 1.5HP should be capable of driving that 1/2HP motor to its full potential, even limping along with single-phase supply.

At 60HZ you lose nothing at all.
Losses come into play the further you move away from 60HZ.

A lot of guys expect you can get away from changing belts and then are disappointed.

Use it and get a feel for it...likely you will find you don't notice any loss between 45-90Hz which is plenty of range to dial in a cut.

Sounds like you are good to go.

What is the output rating of the VFD?

I don't have the information in front of me, but I believe we looked it up at one point and the VFD was rated for up to 10 hp or something. So very overkill. It didn't come with a manual and appears to no longer be a manufactured model, so that will be fun..

With that large of a VFD you may have an issue with setting the overload protection. On some there is a hi and low amperage span,high side won't be an issue but you may not be able to go low enough for 1/2 hp. (it will still be usable) What is the make and model? Jim

My lathe came with a VFD and a 220v, 3 phase, 1/2 hp motor. Approximately how much power will I lose using this setup? Will I be down to like 1/4hp or 1/3hp? Both of those seem relatively low...

You won't lose any power.

With that large of a VFD you may have an issue with setting the overload protection. On some there is a hi and low amperage span,high side won't be an issue but you may not be able to go low enough for 1/2 hp. (it will still be usable) What is the make and model? Jim

It is a "Weg CFW-07 VFD"

With a certain setting of a )modern'VDF you can get even more power out of it if the motor is dual voltage
Over here most motors are 240-400 volts 50Hz
Connect the motor to 220volts Set the parameter for motorvoltage at 240 Volt The VDF you connet to 400 volts
Now the motor can run constant torque to about 80Hz that will result in more power

Peter

I don't have the information in front of me, but I believe we looked it up at one point and the VFD was rated for up to 10 hp or something. So very overkill. It didn't come with a manual and appears to no longer be a manufactured model, so that will be fun..

That is good. I would search the net for a manual.

Back