What's new
What's new

How to remove stripped cross feed nut screw?

Domodude17

Aluminum
In todays segment on "Cheese Head Screws", i'm dealing with a stripped set screw that holds the cross feed nut in place. I've soaked it in WD-40 for 2 days, and put literally as much weight as I can on the screwdriver when trying to turn it, but it still cams out because the slot is so bad. Does anyone have suggestions here? I was thinking about replacing the cross feed and compound nuts just on principle while I have the saddle apart, but id like to try to avoid chiseling and cutting things apart if possible. Thank you.

Do you have the apron off? If so, try turning the nut on the bottom instead of the screw head. You might be able to get up inside of there with a tool to grab the nut from the bottom if the lathe isn't apart, but its probably going to be very awkward. Once it breaks loose, the screw ought to spin right out from the top.

absolute worst case, drill it. It should center itself decently using the oil hole, drill it until the cheese head breaks off and then you can just drop the nut out from the bottom. Left hand drills, if you have them, might fetch up and spin the screw out for you.

Try an impact driver with a very sharp screwdriver blade. The impact will likely loosen the screw so you can remove it. By a very sharp blade I mean a freshly ground blade, not one sharpened to a chisel edge.

Last edited:
X2 on impact driver.

If pneumatic reduce pressure to just light tapping then place a lot of weight on the driver to keep it in.

You may need to use a dremel tool and tiny cutter to clean up the slot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I was able to get it by tapping the bottom of the cross feed nut which made it high enough for me to get a pair of vise grips around the screw, thanks for the advice everyone!

Back