What's new
What's new

South Bend 9A QCGB Issue

Bogs1259

Plastic
Hi I’m new here and machining with only some time on a mill.
I recently bought a nicely restored 9A after much research. The guy I bought it from was the son of the guy who did the restoration and sold it as is. I took the risk at a good price and now I’m paying for it. So my biggest problem is in the qcgb, the right side of the gearbox is locked up. All other gears spin as they should (I think). I tried knocking out the pin to remove the entire shaft but can spin the shaft to get the pin out all the way. Any help would be much appreciated. I do have pictures but can’t see where to post them.

The two internal pins that go through a collar or a gear should be tapered pins and easy to remove if you are pushing them the right way. If they were replaced with spring pins then you will need to cut them off half way out and finish or rotate the shaft and finish pulling with pliers.

There is one spring pin on the outside that holds a shaft in place that should be fairly easy to remove with a small pin punch.

I highly recommend getting the overhaul kit and manual. It will have all the instructions and felts to take the lathe apart and reassemble it. The gearbox has some gears pinned to each other, some keyed to the shafts and some are simple idlers. Not intuitive which are which just looking at it.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Back