What's new
What's new

I need a better lathe! SB 9"?

pwcosol

Plastic
My last posting regarded wiring up a fwd/rev switch for my Atlas H42. I am happy to say it now works just fine, thanks to the help several Forum members provided. Now that it is running, the lathe's shortcomings are becoming aparrent. The spindle rests in journals, so has no bearings, and is worn to the point there must be at least six to ten thousandths play or worse. There is about a quarter inch of slack in the combined rest which holds the toolpost. I was able to repair one of the gears in the gearbox, but still need two others so it will work smoothly. Bottom line is the thing is just plum wore out, so I have decided to part it out and apply the proceeds to another Lathe. I have noticed two SB 9" lathes currently up on Ebay (3842266198 & 3842860987).
The seller is only about 60 miles from me, and I would appreciate any commentary or suggestions the Forum membership might care to make regarding these lathes, and approximate value. I have strongly considered the SB 9" because a friend owns one & with the spindle able to accommodate 1 1/2" & 8" threaded components, I can use most of the stuff I got w/the Atlas on this lathe. Thanks.

I think you are jumping from the frying pan to the fire. Both those machines look pretty worn out to me. In addition, Reliable always seems to get top dollar for their stuff. Carbide cutting tools on a SB waste of money plus holders for that Kirkelie will be damn near impossible to find
Bob

The South Bends are great machines, just check them out before buying, so you don't land another worn out machine. Good Luck.

Just wanted to post my experience with Reliable in HelLA. I suspect their "top dollar" auctions on heavier equipment is simply because of location. I have had only one experience and that was with a 3700 lb mill. While I had seen mills in better shape go for 1/2 what I paid, the shipping cost would be prohibitive. There are allot of garages in S. Cal and I suspect thats what drives Reliables auctions up. Machines elsware seem to go for far less.

Oh and they where great to deal with, loaded up the machine for free on my trailer and seemed like a good solid operation.

FWIW
Cheers
Mark

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. In looking thru Ebay, I had noticed numerous lathes at relatively decent prices, but they are mostly in the East or Northeast part of the country. I was also told these things tend to go higher out here on the Left Coast for the reasons mentioned, and the large population base. I may have time to go & look @ them on Friday, but from what I see, think they are going to go for more than I care to spend for what I would get. What would be the three or four things I should pay particular attention to when inspecting a SB 9"? Guess it couldn't hurt to educate myself in the process...

Well, you've got a good start on what to check out based on the problems you found with the atlas. Ahead of those, I would put the ways. I personally wouldn't buy a machine that had to be reground and scraped. Recently, I acquired a 1969 vintage SB 10L in excellent condition. They're out there. I gave the 1940's vintage SB 10L that I had to a coworker because it needed EVERYTHING.
Good luck in the hunt.
Bob

Hi,

I have to agree with the majority on this.
Reliable Auctions pull in the bucks. Just go into the "view sellers other auctions" on ebay and you'll see that typically people bid on almost everything they sell!

I live in the Pittsburgh, PA ( Steeler Country)area. I bought my tool room heavy 10 cabinet and all for only $ 750.00 in excellent shape. No worn out or broken gears, original paint and great flame hardened bed. I admit that this was a steal, (ha) but the machines are out there.

I simply put a South Bend Lathe Wanted ad in the evening paper and had people call me! A retired gentleman phoned me only 7 miles from my house and told me he inherited it from his machinist brother, and needed to sell it to gain space. Seams the machine was out of place in his wood shop!!

We made the deal and this wonderful machine was mine.

Of course the gentleman I bought it from had no idea what he had so I got great deal.

Over the years putting wanted - ads in the paper has helped me find everything from classic car parts, to metal working machines. I suggest you try it. After all it's nice to have people call you about something they have to sell. You don't ever he them say things like, "Ya man hurry up and come down now I got 10 people on their way down to look at it now!"

Take care & good luck.

Al Paslow

Back