What's new
What's new

I need a handwheel, part AS53NK1

Galane

Hot Rolled
Got a 9" South Bend today. While getting it off a high shelf with a chain hoist, the tailstock dropped off and of course had to land on the handle, cracking the wheel where it was pressed in. I wasn't the one bringing it down. :P

Anyone have an AS53NK1 tailstock handwheel?

I'll be needing some more parts but don't know yet what all is or may be missing. It's one of those bunch of parts lathes that someone else started working on. Has the taper attachment, QC box, adjustable right foot, v-belt drive, power cross feed, aluminum gear guards and Cutler Hammer drum switch mounted on one of the guards, which is cracked. Fortunately I know a guy who repairs aluminum boats and stock trailers.

Serial number 55787NAR10 and has a metal plate from Reynolds Machinery Company, Cleveland Ohio riveted to the gear cover.

I broke the tailstock handwheel on my Heavy 10 in almost the same way. It turned out it was a handwheel from a Workshop 9 since the guy I bought the lathe from had created a "Frankenlathe" of sorts. Anyway, I broke the wheel rim and spokes into three pieces which I fixed by sticking the parts back together with JBWeld. It actually worked quite well and gave me use of the lathe while I figured out what to do. I eventually bought a handwheel rough casting from ENCO and machined it to fit the tailstock, giving me a wheel size more in keeping with the size of the lathe. Obviously, getting a new or used wheel in good shape would be the best answer but there's no need to despair since you can always make a handwheel if you have to. This is one of the beauties of a lathe---it can make its own repair parts.

Back