What's new
What's new

I need help with 13" parts availability

jmofr

Aluminum
I'm confused about parts availability for a lathe I'm buying. The lathe in question is a CL145C and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1982. When I go to the South Bend parts site (Grizzly) this is what I see. If parts were available for the lathe I would expect to see the number 145 in the left column (catalog number). Is the information shown on the South Bend parts availability complete and dependable? I find it hard to believe that parts are not available for the lathe as they seem to be very popular and plentiful.

I have watched all of Brad Jacob's CL145C restoration series videos several times and I'm in awe of what can be done with these lathes if you are willing to invest the time and effort. I'm going to do the restoration.

Attachments

• South Bend Parts.jpg
    South Bend Parts.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 253
Grizzly bought out all the remaining parts stock from the South Bend company (along with the name) but is not making new parts for the old machines. As I understand it, the only way to truly find out what parts are available is to contact them directly.

-Ron

Grizzly bought out all the remaining parts stock from the South Bend company (along with the name) but is not making new parts for the old machines. As I understand it, the only way to truly find out what parts are available is to contact them directly.

-Ron

Yes, I'm aware that they have the parts stock and in fact it's here in Springfield where I live. The fact that no new parts are being made is not good news. That makes me suspicious as to their motives. I sent in for my card today.

Don't buy stuff from Grizzly, you can get all the common parts from members on this board like Ted ([email protected]), or places like ebay or plazamachinery.

allan

i don't know of any parts I need yet, but I'm sure something will show up when I get into the restoration. Thanks for the parts source. That is good information for someone new like myself. I appreciate any information about sources. I'm sure I'll pick up some more along the way. Out of curiosity I have searched Ebay, but have not seen a lot so far.

I have a CL145C and I used to have a much more worn Heavy 10. What seems to wear are spindle bearings, cross-slide gibs, compound gibs, and the cross-slide and compound nuts. To a lesser extent the bed and carriage wear. The spindle bearings are laminated and when they wear you can remove layers. If you have plenty of layers you have lots of life left. The gibs and nuts were both available from Grizzly for the Heavy 10 and are also available aftermarket as someone else. The bed and carriage might be expensive to make perfect again...if you really need "perfect." Given the shape my CL145C is in I won't have any interest in parts for a long time (it might outlast me), but it and the Heavy 10 seem very similarly built.

For whatever it's worth, I like my CL145C better than the Heavy 10 I had, but some of that has to do with its far less-advanced state of wear.

HTH,

John

I have a CL145C and I used to have a much more worn Heavy 10. What seems to wear are spindle bearings, cross-slide gibs, compound gibs, and the cross-slide and compound nuts. To a lesser extent the bed and carriage wear. The spindle bearings are laminated and when they wear you can remove layers. If you have plenty of layers you have lots of life left. The gibs and nuts were both available from Grizzly for the Heavy 10 and are also available aftermarket as someone else. The bed and carriage might be expensive to make perfect again...if you really need "perfect." Given the shape my CL145C is in I won't have any interest in parts for a long time (it might outlast me), but it and the Heavy 10 seem very similarly built.

For whatever it's worth, I like my CL145C better than the Heavy 10 I had, but some of that has to do with its far less-advanced state of wear.

HTH,

John

Thanks John. All great information and appreciated. I didn't know that the spindle bearings are laminated and that you can remove layers. Can you look at the bearings and see how many layers are left? I'm really looking forward to working on the lathe and have a lot to learn.

On edit: I was thinking about this after I posted and I'm wondering if you are talking about the shims under the bearing cap? I did see a laminated shim I believe on Ebay from an individual in San Diego. I didn't read all of the information on the listing but I remember seeing laminated layers of different thicknesses.

JMofr - PM me with any questions on the restoration. And yes, Ted is the guy to go to, for parts. He knows his South Bends like no other... He gives guidance and offers help. We love that guy, lol ;)

Thanks John. All great information and appreciated. I didn't know that the spindle bearings are laminated and that you can remove layers. Can you look at the bearings and see how many layers are left? I'm really looking forward to working on the lathe and have a lot to learn.

On edit: I was thinking about this after I posted and I'm wondering if you are talking about the shims under the bearing cap? I did see a laminated shim I believe on Ebay from an individual in San Diego. I didn't read all of the information on the listing but I remember seeing laminated layers of different thicknesses.

Yes, it's the shims, sorry. You can remove the caps (follow the instructions!) and look at the shims.

John

I make crossfeed nuts compound nuts and can repair worn crossfeed leadscrews for you 9,10,11,13,14.5,and 16" south bends. you can call or text me at nine13 636 6107 for quotes. Don't PM me don't get on here very often. Thanks Mike

I make crossfeed nuts compound nuts and can repair worn crossfeed leadscrews for you 9,10,11,13,14.5,and 16" south bends. you can call or text me at nine13 636 6107 for quotes. Don't PM me don't get on here very often. Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike. Good to know. I'm a jayhawker myself. I live down here now but I was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo. Moved to Johnson County and went to KU. I've only been in this area since 1998.

Back