What's new
What's new

ID my South Bend

AeroTD&G

Plastic
Hi, I just joined the forum and I'm looking to ID my south Bend lathe so I can do a 'freshen up' on it. here are some pictures of the machine and the numbers I found:

DSCF4033.jpgDSCF4030.jpgDSCF4032.jpgDSCF4040.jpgDSCF4041.jpg

As you can see the plate is missing from the feed selector unit so all I have is the numbers I took pictures of. The first picture is inside the door and the last two are from the end of the bed.

I've owned it since 1990 along with the rest of my machine tools. I have a small machine shop in my barn at home. I ran it commercially for a few years and now I'm retired so it has become more of a hobby shop.

I was an aerospace tool, die, and gauge maker at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft for almost 25 years.
My hobbies include cars, motorcycles, and guns and I've owned an automotive website turboford.org since 2004.

Thanks, Paul

Thanks Clark, is there a specific model number? I was also hoping to figure out when it was made.

Hi Aero, 13" swing, 6 ft. bed with single speed motor would be a CL-145c, or CL-8145c (toolroom lathe). Since your lathe has a taper attachment it is possible the lathe is a catalog model 8145. If you want to spend $25, to find out for sure, go to the big brown bear machinery company,Grizz__ (southbendlathedotcom) and they will e-mail you a copy of the original serial number card. 11446tkl was manufactured late 1966/early 1967.Lots of South Bend info at wswells.com, too. PB

Thanks PB, I did run across the Grizzly site when I was searching and saw that link. I tried to order the serial card but it said they were on backorder and couldn't process the order.:(
I'll give them a call Monday...

Back