What's new
What's new

Identify holes in South Bend Model A? Pics

Guessing they're just leftovers from previous electrical accessories. The one in the kneespace might have been a place to hang tooling like a steady. I'd get them welded shut before repainting.

And yes, you still need to move that drum switch up somewhere that it won't get bumped by your knee as you're reaching over the spindle for a tool holder. That won't end well for anyone involved. :)

I'd try to get one of the headstock mounts for your switch, nice and safe. Ebay should help you find one or someone on here might have a spare to sell you.

I'm in the habbit of leaving extra holes, I have plugged them before and later wanted to put something there and had to knock the plug out or drill a new hole, sometimes extra holes come in handy. I'd probably put a little bracket there for a chuck key or to hang a few frequently used wrenches, tooling, whatever. Some will probably disagree with this practice, do as you wish, it's YOUR machine, nobody else's.

I don't plan to restore the machine (at least for now) so plugging the holes isn't on my radar. As a complete newb I was just curious why they were there. Thanks for the suggestion of looking on eBay for that headstock mount for the switch.

I have a floor model 9" and 36 years ago I mounted the switch to the leg just under the quick change gear box. (Which is just a few inches to the left of where yours is.) At the time I thought that oil dripping from the gear box might be a problem but that proved out to be okay. I have never bumped the switch on or off while running the lathe.

I have a floor model 9" and 36 years ago I mounted the switch to the leg just under the quick change gear box. (Which is just a few inches to the left of where yours is.) At the time I thought that oil dripping from the gear box might be a problem but that proved out to be okay. I have never bumped the switch on or off while running the lathe.

That's where mine is, and I worry about bumping it when my hands are in it changing to backgear, so it's going to get moved.

Steve

On the 9" models with the rear mounted countershaft, there's a bracket that bolts onto the spindle covers. On the underdrive models like yours, that top is hinged, so it's not a convenient place to mount the switch. You could put it on a stalk of some sort.

My 10K has what I believe is the factory switch mounted under the chip tray, but it's a rotary switch, so it's a lot less likely to get accidentally bumped on. I find the location to be pretty convenient. Might be worth looking for a similar switch for yours.

sb1.jpg

Back