What's new
What's new

Identify South Bend lathe?

tom kilgore

Plastic
Can anyone help me find out what model lathe I have, Its a 9" x 36" southbend lathe sreial number 75443, I would like to restore this lathe and know nothing about this or lathes in general for that matter but very interested in them, I would like to purchase some items for it but really need to know what I have. I think it was made in 1937. I have read some post and notice that some reference a catalog number or model. please help if you can and I hope I have posted this request in the right forum since I am new to this site also. regards:confused:TOM

Request info on this model

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a 415YO, but can't find out exactly what this is. I'm sure it is a 9" lathe, but don't know what the O stands for. Any ideas? Obviously it is a SB lathe, circa 1941.

I haven't been able to find a YO anywhere, so I'm thinking it is a YC. I haven't looked at the machine yet, just trying to get a feel for an appropriate price. Perhaps it is a 415-YC lathe.

I've seen a serial number identification sheet, but they look to be for 1947 and newer lathes. Any information would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Leroy

Can anyone help me find out what model lathe I have, Its a 9" x 36" southbend lathe sreial number 75443, I would like to restore this lathe and know nothing about this or lathes in general for that matter but very interested in them, I would like to purchase some items for it but really need to know what I have. I think it was made in 1937. I have read some post and notice that some reference a catalog number or model. please help if you can and I hope I have posted this request in the right forum since I am new to this site also. regards:confused:TOM

Yes it was shipped late in 1937 Nov or Dec.

If there is not a model number please post a picture.
There are two SB 9" lathes, the workshop, which in this time frame would have been a Mocel 415 and the Wide Body toolroom lathes which would have been typel O or R.

Jim B.

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a 415YO, but can't find out exactly what this is. I'm sure it is a 9" lathe, but don't know what the O stands for. Any ideas? Obviously it is a SB lathe, circa 1941.

I haven't been able to find a YO anywhere, so I'm thinking it is a YC. I haven't looked at the machine yet, just trying to get a feel for an appropriate price. Perhaps it is a 415-YC lathe.

I've seen a serial number identification sheet, but they look to be for 1947 and newer lathes. Any information would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Leroy

The 415 was first delivered in 1934. The early models had an oiler on the top and are called top oilers. Initially they were only supplied in change gear format (No gearbox)
Later ones, starting around 1939 also carried the designation A, B, or C.
The C was change gear with no cross feed and longitudinal feed by means of the half nuts.
The B" added cross feed, no QC Gearbox , but both longitudinal feed and cross feed by cluch.
The A had a QC gearbox and everything else.

A serial number would date this. On the tailstock end, in between the two front ways.

The Y indicates bed length, in this case its 3' I believe.

Jim B.

I have a south bend with numbers stamped. Two sets
The serial number appears to be 133608
The other stamped set is MC 155 A-1
The lathe is between 1942and 1943 according to Steve wells website.
Can a anyone tell me what the MC 155 A-1 represents.
I can't get a measurement right now but I believe it's a 16" with a 4' center.
Thanks Mike
I mistyped the number in question. It is MC 1555 A-1

Last edited:
I have a south bend with numbers stamped. Two sets
The serial number appears to be 133608
The other stamped set is MC 155 A-1
The lathe is between 1942and 1943 according to Steve wells website.
Can a anyone tell me what the MC 155 A-1 represents.
I can't get a measurement right now but I believe it's a 16" with a 4' center.
Thanks Mike
I mistyped the number in question. It is MC 1555 A-1

My guess is that the MC 155 A-1 is an identification number stamped on the Lathe by the company or organization who owned the lathe, ie: Military Contract 1555 for Navy Shipyard San Francisco. But that is just a guess as to why a second No.

Back