What's new
What's new

Identifying my sbl

Omrib

Plastic
Hello I am new to Machining and to any kind of forum, so would appreciate some tolerance with my first steps

I've just bought what seems to be a southbend 9 with no tags on it (at least until I remove the old paint job).
I can't find the serial number on it, using the info from this forum.
It only has 2 v ways and 2 flat ways and no power cross feed.
Has standard change gears (no gear box) with lacking gears to change.
Will try to upload photos if I manage to understand how.

I will appreciate any information regarding specific model and advice on where and how to start evaluating its condition and refurbishing it to good and accurate condition.

It's not that common here in Israel and there are no available parts but I believe I can manage

Thanks
Omri

Thanks
Omri

Thanks
Can you educate me of how to upload pictures directly from my phone or laptop?
I couldn't understand if this was possible from the threads dealing with uploads
Thanks

I have an option of getting a pretty messed up 10L with a rotten wooden bench and a quick change gear missing some parts and not sure of straightness of bed Or saddle.
Would this be a better project?

How about some pis of the two plates..the one on the gear cover and the one on the leg?

*some* things do not look South Bend, although they could just be modification from previous owners.

Don't have any original plates on it except for one Hebrew threads table, it had been a school lathe earlier in Its life, maybe in the 50's

It does have what looks like a 9 workshop apron

I have lubed it and tried a turn on it
Removed about 0.5 mm off of 3 inches long length of stock with a live center
And got about 0.002 change in diameter along the stock and not that good Of surface quality
Any ideas?
Can this accuracy Be increased with maintaining the lathe?

In order to tell if the 10L would be a better project or not, we would need to see pictures.

As far as the first Lathe goes, It is probably a South Bend clone. Not a South Bend. Although there's probably nothing wrong with having one Flat way, instead of a V Way, It does make it more difficult to get parts. Parts may not be directly interchangeable.

If you do purchase this Lathe, the first thing I would do to it Is lose that drive unit. I can just see someone bumping that drive pulley with their head, and getting their hair pulled out. Or at least getting a severe burn from the belt. fabricate something that will not be a safety hazard, as that one definitely is. even putting a good belt guard on it would not be sufficient for me. I would be bumping my head on that thing every time I moved. that with the possible parts problems, might make me look elsewhere. it would have to be a really good price.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I don't think it is a south bend. I think it is a copy- the gear cover and its bracket are more substantial, the gib screws on the compound are on the wrong side. This lathe was made in Europe.

allan

Thanks guys
Lots of useful info
I will get that 10 L as it will be at no substantial cost

I believe it would take at least an additional 1000$ to get it benched and running properly and lots of hours
But, considering the parts issue of the other one, it may be the best way to go

Will send new horror photos as soon as I bring it Home

Back