What's new
What's new

Identifying a SB lathe

smitty62

Plastic
Hey Guys!
A newbie here looking for info on a 10" X 36" South Bend lathe I have. The numbers I found on the bed are as follows: 3417RKL9 Can someone tell just what I have and what it's worth (thinking of selling) with a 3 and a 4 jaw chuck, a set of collets and a collet puller thingie (ok, so I don't know much about lathes-shoot me!) Some other tooling too. This is a model on cast iron legs with a large cast chip pan underneath. 2 HP 3ph motor. The ways, etc look very good to an amateur with a lot of the original case hardening still visible. In fact, it all looks pretty good to me as far as condition except for horrible old green (not gray) paint. Located in central NC. Any info would be surely appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Hi There,

If you call Leblond Lathe (current owners of South Bend Lathe) and give them the serial number, they will tell you when and to whom it was sold and any special features. But I can tell you this much:

From your serial number: 3417RKL9

3417 - Build Sequence Number (about 1950),
R - 10 Inch Swing,
K - Quick Change Gearbox, Friction Clutch, Underneathe Drive,
L - Large Spindle Hole, Standard Swing,
9 - 9th, modifiaction.

This lathe is commonly called a "Heavy Ten" or "10L". If you look on the quick change gearbox, there is a metal tag with threading info. In addition, there will be a catalogue number stamped into it. With that, some more info can be found out.

Good Luck and Happy Turkey!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

While we're talking indentifications....

I know I'm coming in a little late here.

I know I saw a post a while back that had a link to a website that described the 9 inchers by model number. I thought I had bookmarked that page in my favs, but apparently not (or lost it). I have searched the forums to no avail.

I know more than one of you has it bookmarked (and you know what I'm talking about) Would you please be kind enough to repost it? Many thanks!

Mark

Back