What's new
What's new

9A - Cone and Backgear Lubrication

Phil3

Aluminum
In a rebuild manual I have for the 9A, it says to use grease fittings for the cone and backgear assemblies. There appears in the manual to be some sort of a "grease fitting adapter" to permit the use of grease fitting fine threads with the SB coarse thread hole (1/4 - 20 I think). I have never seen one of these. How do others fit a grease fitting? I have the Superlube grease.

- Phil

what works really well for me is one of those little syringes that the pharmacy gives you to measure medicine for small children- just pull out the plunger , put some grease in the barrel, put the plunger back in , jam the plastic tip in the hole and give it a push. it helps to turn the spindle by hand while you push the grease so it gets distibuted well.

It's on my to do list, I was either going to make a nipple to fit, or now you have reminded me, an adapter to fit nipples I already have. I'll probably make something on the lathe, probably turned down and bored and threaded from solid stock, but if you aren't ready to run yours you might be able to do something with a couple of bits of pipe, a tap to match the nipple and a die to match the pulley hole. The trick would be getting bits of pipe that fit inside each other so you can solder them together. Or use a nipple suitably smaller that with heavy wall pipe you can tap into the same piece you cut the external thread on to fit the pulley?

Just so you are aware there is another thread running about the grease in the pulley, some people have had different experiences so it may be worth a read....

Back