What's new
What's new

I'll never spill my cutting oil again

iwananew10K

Diamond
i knocked my oil over(AGAIN!):willy_nilly: so.......
105_3839-1.jpg
at least i got to use up some scrap :D

Those work nice:
480.3896.jpg

I still have one, but most all the time I use the small squirt bottles that are available from MSC, that way I have one for Tapmagic, cutting oil, water soluable or whatever. No brushes needed and you can control how much you put on and you can't drink it or really spill it. You can even get them with lables or color coded lids.
bottle-squirt-INT.jpg

oil bowl

I use pipe caps the forged kind 3000 PSI socket weld.A malleabgle pipe cap would do the same,and they are available in the non steam world.You just have to turn/bore the threads out of them.

I use one of the squirt bottles with a strong magnet dropped in it so it sticks to any part of the lathe. It does collect a lot of swarf, but it is easy to scape it off into the trash.

Boy this is great!!! I thought I was the only klutz!!! :o

Anyhow, I use the magnet idea w/big round magnet from CB antenna mounts or blown out speakers. I also use low cans these days like the kind from tuna etc. & place the can on top. It attracts ferrous chips but it's much better than dumping the cutting oil again. Plus the magnet holds the acid brush I use for the oil ----- not always where I want to hold it, but beggars can't be choosers.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

An often effective way round the chips on magnet problem is to either wrap in cling film or put it in a plastic bag and wire or freezer bag tie the open end shut to stop flying swarf taking the long way round. Unwrap, remove and shake to remove swarf. With care cling film will last a couple or three goes but the strong magnets tend to be too much for it leading to tearing around the chips. Hafta say I frequently find the super magnets too much of a good thing as sliding is often the only way to get them off. Magnet in a bag makes a pretty good chip sweeper to grab the little bits that escape the brush.

Clive

You could just use the magnetic base form you dial indicator and attach a can to the end of it.

1. This will do two things. Magnetic so you can stick it most places and just turn it off to remove any swarf that has stuck to it.

2. Adjust it to be closer to your work.

You can find them for under $10 on ebay so you can dedicate one for the task.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't believe how many of you are still using open cans or such and acid brushes, I honestly quit doing that more han 25 years ago. Small squirt bottle really are the only way to do this without making a mess, like I mentioned earlier, no dumping, no chips, no brushes and you can keep several of them around with different things in them with no chance of drinking them. Not to mention you have better control over where you put the oil or whatever. I can squirt it up into a drilled hole if I want try that witha brush.

I mostly use CT90 cutting and tapping fluid (in in UK) - it's a bit expensive but it does a good job and comes in a squirty/drippy bottle. I'll need to get another, finished mine off yesterday with some parting - something else I wouldn't fancy keeping lubed by brush.... :)

I like Clives tips for using magnets, I'll need to get some moderately strong ones to try in plastic bags! I have mag welding clamps - great for setting up right angles if you can clean enough of the accumulated debris away to get them to sit flat :)

Please don't take this the wrong way but I can't believe how many of you are still using open cans or such and acid brushes, I honestly quit doing that more han 25 years ago. Small squirt bottle really are the only way to do this without making a mess, like I mentioned earlier, no dumping, no chips, no brushes and you can keep several of them around with different things in them with no chance of drinking them. Not to mention you have better control over where you put the oil or whatever. I can squirt it up into a drilled hole if I want try that witha brush.

Like this idea, as I am currently using the spillmaster containers with an acid brush. It works but there is always swarf, etc. in the bottom of the container.

Another tip to consider

Hello everyone,

I have found that the bottle from Visine eye drops work great for parting applications w/the addition of a small dia. metal tube. That way you can keep the cutting oil right on the surface being cut one drop at a time and you won't melt the plastic nozzle.

The one shown has a brass tube .038 dia. I get these at ACE Hardware in the model making supplies. I buy a bunch of different size tubes for the electrodes for an EDM machine I built so I had some of these skinny ones on hand. This bottle has Moly-Dee tapping oil in it.

Yep, even though I use acid brushes I learned of plastic bottles too. :)

Sincerely,

Jim

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 881

Back