What's new
What's new

I'm confused about 20t Stud gear on reversing assembly.

Tojan19

Plastic
I'm a complete newbie to this. So please pardon my ignorance.

My SB9 started out as a model B. 1960's era. I converted it to a gear box (Model A). I know I need a 20T stud gear, and from what I understand the stud gear is the lower small one on the reversing assembly. A 16t is currently on there. So I ordered a 20t stud gear off ebay, and now I'm rather confused. I removed the 16t and the shaft is 0.562 and the 20t gear I ordered has a 5/8" bore. The 20t also has a extension that would leave me almost no threads for the nut if I stacked it on the inner gear.

Where do I go from here? What parts should I be looking for?

20t I bought on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371246836390?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

well, its a 16 dp ,14 1/2 degree pressure angle spur gear!
whats the width of that gear?
do you have a lathe?
do you how to cut thread??
whats the thread(pitch)on that shaft??

I have made a quick drawing for you, you might use that gear. you will have to bore that gear a little more.IMG_20150211_231331.jpg

If theres any mistake, please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20150211_231113.jpg
    IMG_20150211_231113.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 188
I have one, PM me your address and I'll send it and a few other misc. parts I found.
Thrust bearing,take up nut, and the inner reverser spindle gear. All dirty and used but serviceable.

FYI- it's a 14.5 degree, 18DP gear about .380 ish wide x 1.22" diameter

when you get it just stick 6 bucks in an envelope and mail it to me. I think that's still about the cost for small flat rate.

I have one, PM me your address and I'll send it and a few other misc. parts I found.
Thrust bearing,take up nut, and the inner reverser spindle gear. All dirty and used but serviceable.

when you get it just stick 6 bucks in an envelope and mail it to me. I think that's still about the cost for small flat rate.

I think he needs 20 teeth 16 dp gear,nevermind though.

You bought a lead screw gear, not a stud gear.

The stud gear and lead screw gear or interchangeable by design. There should be no modification needed.
in fact, you swap the 20 tooth gear for a 40 tooth gear to cut 4 tpi . both gears can be stored on the lead screw.

they are supposed to have the same shaft dimensions!.

That is awesome. IM sent.

That is awesome. IM sent.

The gear you bought goes inside the gearbox, on the end of the leadscrew.

allan

Yes.
the "workshop" 9 and 10k end gearing is 20DP from the spindle to the reverser gears and change to 18DP at the stud gear through the rest of the train.

i should have been more specific than just leadscrew gear.

Back