What's new
What's new

I'm looking for a 1 7/8" 8 TPI southbend lathe chuck for a 1947 heavy 10

Red1fire

Aluminum
Hello all, new to the forum. Just purchased a 1947 south bend heavy 10 lathe. The chuck is a 1 7/8" x 8 TPI. It came with a two piece Westcott chuck but its sloppy. I cant for the life of me find anything that size. I've been hawking fleabay for the past couple weeks with no luck. I have read all the links on PM with no luck. Any chance there's one here collecting dust???

I'm bidding on it as we speak. May have to machine it down to fit a chuck. but the back plate is a good place to start.

Interesting, never considered a swap out... Might poke around a bit more and see if something pops up 1 7/8"

I am having the same issue. I have been looking for weeks for 1 7/8" threaded stuff but no luck. I may end up changing over the the big spindle before its all over.

Pardon if you already understand this, but you get the backplate John Oder linked to, and a plain back chuck, and turn the backplate on your lathe to fit the back of the chuck...
I'm actually surprised Ted has one of the direct mount chucks. All of those have got to be getting pretty long in the tooth by now, or they've been doing a great job of hiding somewhere.

I bought the one John linked too. Should get here in a couple days. I saw a 6 jaw buck for 300.00 I could turn down the plate but not sure how to align/drill the bolt pattern though.

video

Just watched a video from tubalcain. I'm going to pick up a transfer set and give it a shot...

backing plate came in the mail and the threads are ate up. its junk back to looking for a 1 7/8 backing plate. arggg...

I lucked into a 1-7/8" x 8 tap a few years ago. I could make you a backplate out of an unfinished casting... I like to get most of the thread by boring bar then finish up with the tap.

Oops, looks like Nielho is a faster typer than I am.

Hello Rudd, Honestly I would like to have two anyways. These things are like hens teeth so a back up would be nice. looking for something around 6"-8" 1 7/8" 8 tpi. I will send you a pm. Shawn

Back