What's new
What's new

I'm probably jumping the gun here, but it looks like I'll be getting a 10-K soon

Mr. Asa

Plastic
A former coworker is having to move soon and won't be able to take their lathe with them, basically abandoning the house. Unfortunately for them I'll be buying it from them for what I can afford, not for what its worth. Even more unfortunately for him I'm a college student working on my Mechanical Engineering degree, so again, not much.

He hasn't had it for long, and was in the middle of functional restoration (although the cosmetics are pretty good already.) It's coming with a lot of accessories and I don't have a comprehensive list yet.

Just sort of wondering what I should prepare for, what sort of stuff I'll need to get, and how I should prep this. Not even sure what questions I should ask right now.

The immediate concern is the weight of this thing and power. How much of pain is it going to be to move this thing to my place? Does it run off 110?

Thanks

Bench Style is the one with the motor behind the spindle? It is one of those. Custom made wooden cabinet with controls built in above the lathe, I'm going to bet that with the wooden cabinet its split between those weights.

" Not even sure what questions I should ask right now."

Questions? No questions.

Just go over there and pick it up. Apart it will fit in a small car. You can sort out the
other details later. Bring rags, milk crates, boxes, and strong friends. Oh, and cash.

" Not even sure what questions I should ask right now."

Questions? No questions.

Just go over there and pick it up. Apart it will fit in a small car. You can sort out the
other details later. Bring rags, milk crates, boxes, and strong friends. Oh, and cash.

Still a couple hoops to jump through with my friend. Should be able to get it soonish, but I have to be somewhat patient right now.

In the meantime I'm spending time over there helping him pack up parts, tools, etc etc.

As you're building up your sweat equity account with your friend, also spend some time reading up here on PM about moving lathes. Specifically their tendency to faceplant due to high center of gravity coupled with narrow footprint. Start gathering good timbers for spreaders to increase width (if transporting 'whole') or disassembly notes if not. Resist the temptation to put it in your spare bedroom on the second floor of your apartment building.

If you've got enough electric available for an electric dryer or central air, you can power the lathe whether its 110, 220 single phase, or 3-phase via VFD. (Perhaps not all at the same time, though.)

Chip

As you're building up your sweat equity account with your friend, also spend some time reading up here on PM about moving lathes. Specifically their tendency to faceplant due to high center of gravity coupled with narrow footprint. Start gathering good timbers for spreaders to increase width (if transporting 'whole') or disassembly notes if not. Resist the temptation to put it in your spare bedroom on the second floor of your apartment building.

If you've got enough electric available for an electric dryer or central air, you can power the lathe whether its 110, 220 single phase, or 3-phase via VFD. (Perhaps not all at the same time, though.)

Chip

I've moved enough stuff to know all about heavy crap with small footprints. I might take my engine hoist to his place when I move it. Dad and another friend are probably going to help me move it; Dad is a wood worker, I think he's got a couple of ready-made braces he uses to transport things like with a similar center of gravity. I should be able to ratchet strap the cabinet to them if I load it into my truck whole.

It'll go in my garage and guarantee that the little lady's car never gains a spot in there. Probably have to move my outboards around and reposition my project car.

I'm really looking forward to having a lathe, but at the same time I really don't need another project, especially while working on my degree.

I bought my 10k off of Craigslist (bench top model) and me and a friend picked it up easily. Mine has 4' bed. I'd say there is no way it weighed more then 300 lbs. had taper attachment too. We were surprised at how little it weighed. The counter shaft and motor assembly are easily separated form the lathe making it easier and less weight.

Back