What's new
What's new

Inexpensive DRO

crij

Cast Iron
Since I have not see it covered on the list so I thought I might mention a "DRO system" I came across that is relatively inexpensive and that seems to work great.

For a while I have been looking for a DRO system for my SB9, but could not justify $400-$700 for the unit. Recently after looking for the real manufacturer of the Angle Cube (2" alum alloy cube with digital angle display) I found out that they were mainly manufactured by I-Gaging (iGaging.com). After finding out how to fix the problem caused by a dying battery, I started looking over their site and came across their Digimag/Digifence line which is a digital vernier scale with a remote display. The display reads 0.001", .05 mm (IIRC) & 1/64" fractional ( Igaging Digital Scales and Readout ) . While the last one is not what I was looking for, the .001" repeatability/0.002" accuracy was what I was looking for.

The scale mounts like most of the other digital scales with the on-scale screens (i.e.: quill scales), but the screen is on a 3-4' cable and the screen mounts with either the imbedded magnets or a snap in bracket. I got the scales from Quint Measuring Systems in San Ramon, Ca, Phone: 1-800-745-5045, Fax:1-800-745-5043 (the rep that i-Gaging put me in contact with) the prices range from $27-$50 each and is available in 6", 12", 24" & 35" lengths. The people over at Quint seem nice to deal with, sounds like a small office / home office company (as the lady handling billing/shipping and the fellow handling the technical questions both had the last name of Quint). When talking to them they mentioned having an Amazon store, but I can only find Quint Graphics on Amazon, who also carry Igaging, but I can't be sure they are the same people.

Below you will see photos of the installation, the brackets (cross slide mount, cross slide connector and display mount) were all made from 1/8 x 2" CRS. The cable keepers are key retractors from Sears Hardware (found near the key machine), I think they were at most $2 each. The rings are chain mail rings (another hobby) baby key rings, like the ones on the AAA mag lights would also work. The scale for the bed had to be shortened by 8-10", the scale backers are aluminum and the scale is fiberglass, so I carefully cut the scale from the backside making sure the hacksaw blade was horizontal when I got to the fiberglass, and went extra light when cutting the last 1/32".

The repeatability is there, before measuring the c'bores in the display mounts, I threaded for #8 screws, but it turned out that the c'bores were sized for #6 or similar metric screws, so I had to modify a group of #8 pan heads into what I think are called fillister head screws (small diameter heads). I did one, and set my zeros on both scales (y scale for the diameter and x scale for the final head height) and although I got distracted 3 times long enough that they displays auto-offed, 3 of the 4 measured the same diameter and 1 was 0.001 larger.

The next project is installing the other 2 scales I bought for my B'Port, and I may by another scale and install it on the tailstock of the SB9. Not sure if I will also add sheet metal guards over them to protect them from chips & oil.

Take care,
Rich C.

Though I know many of you could do a better job, here are the photos:

Attachments

• DSCN1658.JPG
    DSCN1658.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 3,160
  • DSCN1659.jpg
    DSCN1659.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,245
  • DSCN1664.JPG
    DSCN1664.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 3,584
  • DSCN1660.JPG
    DSCN1660.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 2,633
  • DSCN1667.JPG
    DSCN1667.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,756
Last edited:
The cables appear to be a standard USB cable, that may come in handy if you need another one in a pinch.

I like it, are they liquid resistant?

Grizzly carries them, That's where I got mine. They're made for Woodworking tools, table saws and such. They will display In US or metric scales, and Decimal or Fraction.
Note: The fraction Function Is not very accurate, it rounds the decimal off to the nearest fraction. good for woodworking, not for metalworking.

they seem to be fairly accurate, With a display of .001.

The units are not sealed and need to be protected From abrasives dust And oil/liquids.

promacjoe

I put a pair on my mill. I use a stiff piece of paper/cardboard to cover the scales to keep the swarf out.

When I showed them a friend of mine he slide the "slide" up and down the scale a few times hitting both ends then brought it back to 0. It read 0 - he was impressed.

I cut mine to length in the bandsaw - no problems at all with cutting them to size.

Walt

This one was posted on another group. It is a digital tire tread depth indicator available delivered for $5. Looks like a very inexpensive way to play with a DRO on the compound or as a depth indicator when boring.

Micro Digital Read Out

The tyre depth gauge is very useful for this sort of application and can give a range of up to 30 mm (I have modified over a dozen of them for a customer) BUT be careful when buying them. Most of them retain the reading when powered down, and come up with exactly the same number when switched on again, which is very useful. Others, apparently identical, forget where they are when powered down, and always display zero when switched on, which is very frustrating. Make sure yours is the type you want.

George

I was impressed. This is such a well timed thread!

I was just thinking of adding x & Y DRO for my SB9A as well and could not justify the price (Getting married in June so wife to be would kill me)

CRIJ - So what do you think it cost you?

By the way the idea of using key retractors for an inexpensive cabling control was a stroke of genius!

I use a commercial, fully adjustablem balanced cable retactor that I use over my lathe to hold an electric torque screwdriver( Or any other tool) I need often on a project in mid air, because I have no horizontal surface to rest it on close to hand. And this way I will never accidently lay it down on the lathe and it is always there and always safe. I also use it to hold my chuck key at times.

I never thought of using a key retactor for those light jobs!

LOL! You just have to love this web site just for the ideas people share!!!

Thanks!

hi , my post was meant for the OP, as he took a rare lathe and turned it into a inspector gadget piece of swiss cheese. I wrote that also to let anyone else know
Please dont grab a hand drill and murder a great lathe!!!! im sick

Hi Vette

I won't be drilling any new holes, just using existing ones.

I am not suggesting this for professional work. I use DRO to get close and use handwheels to finish.

I am not impressed.... that scale is HUGE. With a tailstock as wimpy as that one you need to keep the quill as short as possible. You will need to have it out about 3" more than normal with that giant scale.

Grizzly carries them, That's where I got mine. They're made for Woodworking tools, table saws and such. They will display In US or metric scales, and Decimal or Fraction.
Note: The fraction Function Is not very accurate, it rounds the decimal off to the nearest fraction. good for woodworking, not for metalworking.

they seem to be fairly accurate, With a display of .001.

The units are not sealed and need to be protected From abrasives dust And oil/liquids.

promacjoe

I also bought one to put on my home built spiral router jig. It works wonderfully on this machine. The pictures below show the matched set of table legs that I made on this machine. The features on the legs show straight and tapered turning, straight fluting and spiral fluting (both right and left hand) on the tapered features. The digitial readout simplifies the longitudinal location of the cutter on the workpiece. The pictures show how the scale and readout are mounted on the machine. Chips and moisture are not a problem. Not shown are the gears that are required for right and left hand spiral turning.

Lord Byron

Attachments

• DSC02258.jpg
    DSC02258.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC02257.jpg
    DSC02257.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 693
  • DSC02256.jpg
    DSC02256.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC02179.jpg