What's new
What's new

SB 9 or 10 or both?

hbracerx

Plastic
Hi,

I bought a SB a while back. I'm not quite sure what it is though. Despite searching many archives, I'm not able to tell for sure a 9 from a 10K. The serial number leads me to believe it's a 9, but the head looks more like a lot of 10's I've seen. The head and tail stocks are different in color from the rest of the lathe so I'm wondering if someone took a head and tailstock from a 10 and mounted it on a frame from a 9. From the center of the 4 jaw chuck to the nearest way is 5 inches. Here are a couple pics. Let me know if there is anything specific you need to see. I want to get a rebuild kit for it and want to get the right one the first time.

Thanks!!

Tom

lathepicsmaller.jpg

latheserialnumbersmaller.jpg

latheswingsmaller.jpg

you hit the nail on the head the first time. That is definitely a 9" bed. The headstock tailstock and compound rest, is off of a 10K. Fortunately the rebuild kits are the same.

Your main concern is alignment. The headstock and tailstock have to line up properly. start by making sure the headstock and tailstock is seated properly against the bed. also make sure that they are at the same height.

If everything checks out okay you should not have to worry about it. As long as the lathe does what you want, it should be fine.

promacjoe

I also just noticed, the gear cover is off of a 9", and is sitting at an odd angle. Something you might want to look at.

cool, that confirms what I thought.

The gear cover never did close right since I got it. It rubs a bit when it's running so I just open it some. Kinda' defeats the purpose of a cover. Some day I'll shim it up some... Good eye!

Tom

Re: the gear cover.

I just went through this with my 9A. The pin for the cover is mounted in the cover with what appears to be lead. I heated the lead (carefully and slowly) with a MAP gas torch until it became soft and reset the lead/ pin. It took a couple of tries but it fits like a charm now.

I'm not sure if this is considered an acceptable technique, but it sure worked nicely.

Jeff

Sprucemoose, very nice! I'll have to look into that.

Kitno, I never even noticed. I just assumed they were supposed to be different sizes. Glad you noticed.

Tom

Back