What's new
What's new

It's there anyone out there that can make a hobbed out gear?

Jbonez

Aluminum
I'm making a thread dial and need to have the gear made.if anyone is interested in making this gear please respond to this thread.

I see I have the new 3/4-8 RH Acme tandem tap if anyone wants to play hobbing like in above linked thread. You'll have to buy the tap.:)

I'm making a thread dial and need to have the gear made.if anyone is interested in making this gear please respond to this thread.

A threading dial is but an 'indicator'. The only 'power' it transmits is enough to overcome friction of its mounting shaft. They don't REALLY even have to be metal.

More homework, and/or details of your specific machine, and several folk can probably point you to a ready-made or salvaged one a great deal more economical than having one custom fabbed.

Hard to imagine you'd have to 'make' one for a machine or lead-screw pitch as common as a South Bend.

Bill

What pitch is your leadscrew, lh or rh and what is the OD?

Gonna take a circular pitch hob, but I may have one. Won't be axial pitch unless I have a worm hob the same pitch. John posted 3/4-8 RH- is that correct?

Dan

For something like this I'd think you could use an acme tap run between centers, and fixture the gear on top of the compound to hob it yourself. The gear blank would have to be able to spin, but you should be able to just run it in against the tap and have it do the job. Fixturing and centering you can work out, T nut, a bolt for an axle, appropriate washers for height setting, etc. Gear would need to be something not terribly hard, a hard plastic would probably get it done just fine. Might even be able to take a hunk of acme rod of the proper size and pitch and cut some flutes into it and get the job done if you don't want to spend the coin on the tap.

Using an ACME tap as a hob......

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/thread-dial-kits-any-interest-128605/

For something like this I'd think you could use an acme tap run between centers, and fixture the gear on top of the compound to hob it yourself. The gear blank would have to be able to spin, but you should be able to just run it in against the tap and have it do the job. Fixturing and centering you can work out, T nut, a bolt for an axle, appropriate washers for height setting, etc. Gear would need to be something not terribly hard, a hard plastic would probably get it done just fine. Might even be able to take a hunk of acme rod of the proper size and pitch and cut some flutes into it and get the job done if you don't want to spend the coin on the tap.

The method described using an Acme tap cutting a blank on the lathe is essentially what I did to make my threading dial for my 9 Jr. a number of years ago. I made a duplicate of the lathe's lead screw (but only about 6" long of course) and then ground some flutes into it so it could function as a cutting tool. I counted the number of teeth on my dad's threading dial on his 9 Workshop lathe and measured the OD of his gear. I made a vertical post which sat on top of the compound for the gear blank to rotate around while the cutting was going on. It turned out that I had to "fiddle" with the OD of the blank a little bit to get the number of teeth required to come out but I was able to cut a perfectly satisfactory gear for my homemade threading dial and it's functioned perfectly for a number of years.

Back