What's new
What's new

Ive been having a lot of trouble with the drive belt that goes from the motor to the

loggerhogger

Stainless
95689ce9a0e1468db1b161547cff3e31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know i know. Tried to edit, but it wouldn't let me. Yes it was slipping, and since i have a lot od leather to make belts from, and im just a fan of the old leather belt, i didnt feel like using an old serp belt. So i got into my odds and ends stock and made a tensioner. The roller has a pressed in bronze insert for a bearing.

I know i know. Tried to edit, but it wouldn't let me. Yes it was slipping, and since i have a lot od leather to make belts from, and im just a fan of the old leather belt, i didnt feel like using an old serp belt. So i got into my odds and ends stock and made a tensioner. The roller has a pressed in bronze insert for a bearing.

I would expect it to slip.

I can't help too much, my counter shaft has a v-belt on it to the motor.

Yes, I've never seen a flat belt for the motor to counter shaft on a South Bend. Usually V belt or silent chain. The motor pulley is too small for the flat belt so it slips.

The V belt runs fine on the larger flat sheave as South Bend intended.

100_9080.jpg

John

Should be a V-belt pulley on the motor, driving a flat pulley on the countershaft. If you are set on keeping the flat belt, you have the idler pulley on the wrong side (should be on the slack side) and that spring should be replaced with one significantly stiffer.

allan

Yes, I've never seen a flat belt for the motor to counter shaft on a South Bend. Usually V belt or silent chain. The motor pulley is too small for the flat belt so it slips.

The V belt runs fine on the larger flat sheave as South Bend intended.

View attachment 203052

John

As Kitno said, but I would go further and scrap the spring tensioner altogether and make up a fixed (adjustable) bracket for the tension roller to keep tension consistent. "Think" car timing belt or even the SB cone pulley tensioner itself.

The V to flat drive system used on those old SBLs works well. I have had the same belt on mine for many years. The flat belt going from the counter shaft to the headstock will slip,but the V belt doesn't stop. I don't keep either of them real tight.

Back