What's new
What's new

Joined the South Bend Club Yesterday. What Have I Bought?

Arc-On

Aluminum
Put a low bid on this yesterday in an auction, and won it. I've been looking for a small manual lathe to compliment my 19" x 80" LeBlond, so I went to the inspection to have a look. It was in a model shop for a printer manufacturer, so it apparently didn't see a ton of use. Came with a little tooling, some chucks, a small multifix toolpost and some toolbits. I figure this will hold me over until I find a HLV-H or 10EE for a reasonable price. With my buyer's premium I gave right around $800 for this.

I'm no South Bend expert, but it seems like a nice little lathe. What have I bought? Did I get a decent deal?

36638706315_d263de3af7_c.jpg

36242426300_9342d44553_c.jpg

36469803282_fc3c3f6c4a_c.jpg

36242427750_166ec83db3_c.jpg

Very nice. Welcome to the club. Is that shop modified and/or repaired carriage wrench? I'd like to see a close up of it to keep in mind for a future project. I'm a sucker for knurling.

I paid about the same for mine. I got a taper attachment, you got a much better toolpost. Overall I'd say the toolpost gets more use than the taper does. Is that a camlock spindle? Thats a nice feature.

You did really well! Large dials, extended range gear box, nice tool post. The only downfall is the small spindle bore. You can do a spindle swap easy as pie, but you'd have to re-tool with new chucks.

Very nice score! I'm a little jealous.

You did really well! Large dials, extended range gear box, nice tool post. The only downfall is the small spindle bore. You can do a spindle swap easy as pie, but you'd have to re-tool with new chucks.

Very nice score! I'm a little jealous.

Nice. You're right as rain- a 10L in good condition will bring 3-4 times that (or more). Looking for one myself but the few I've seen (not many lathes in FL) are clapped out and I won't buy one without at least eyes on. Gunsmiths like them for the large, short spindle bore. The large spindles for swap-out go for big bucks...

Nice. You're right as rain- a 10L in good condition will bring 3-4 times that (or more). Looking for one myself but the few I've seen (not many lathes in FL) are clapped out and I won't buy one without at least eyes on. Gunsmiths like them for the large, short spindle bore. The large spindles for swap-out go for big bucks...

Not really big bucks... usually $70-100 on eBay.

What Have I Bought?
One nice lathe, at a good price that's what you bought...payed about $1000.00 for my 10 inch and that one is in better condition.

Ok,

I finally picked the lathe up from my buddy's shop. He went to the auction and picked up our winnings.

To answer a few questions.

It has a threaded spindle. Not sure what pitch.

The carriage wrench is a repair on a repair. It was brazed, that broke. It was then modified to accept this aluminum handle.

35869657493_0ceac04e41_c.jpg

The tailstock lock is pretty clever. It bypasses the need to tighten the nut by using an eccentric to lift up under the nut. Works a treat.

35869655583_9dc0a68148_c.jpg

36509730842_6557dfab45_c.jpg

Thanks for the extra pictures of the tailstock. I am going to be bold and ask for more! Perhaps of the unit disassembled and the back of the tailstock. I'm sure a lot of us 10L owners would appreciate it. Maybe even add it to the stickies at the start. Thanks again.
Karl

Back