What's new
What's new

Just Bought My First Lathe

DyeGuardian

Aluminum
I finally have my own lathe. A South Bend C9W10JR.

photo-1.jpg

image1.jpeg

image.jpeg

image2-1.jpeg

image3-1.jpeg

The retired machinist I bought it from tells me it's a former high school shop lathe. Just about everything shown in the pictures was included in the deal, even the drill press (yes, the handle on the compound rest is missing... it came off during transport but luckily didn't get lost). I picked it up last weekend and just got it into it's new home today... Excited to start making some chips with it!

I am not sure about what kind of rigidity to expect from this lathe, after all it is just a light weight table top. By the far smallest lathe I've ever used.

Oh, no. You have reached Stage 1. Before you progress to Stage 2 you will have spent much, much more money to solve problems you didn't even imagine before reaching Stage 1. At Stage 3 you will begin to grasp how insidious this disease can be. God help you if you advance to Stage 4. There is help available! Call now, before it's too late!

John

Oh, no. You have reached Stage 1. Before you progress to Stage 2 you will have spent much, much more money to solve problems you didn't even imagine before reaching Stage 1. At Stage 3 you will begin to grasp how insidious this disease can be. God help you if you advance to Stage 4. There is help available! Call now, before it's too late!

John

+1

They breed like rats and keeping getting bigger......:D

John

+1

They breed like rats and keeping getting bigger......:D

Hahah. Well I didn't buy it for hobby exactly... Hopefully one day I'll have made back all my money spent on machinery and tools and then some... But there will be many, many more expensive purchases before I'll be remotely close to that day.. I can accept that. :D

I am not sure about what kind of rigidity to expect from this lathe, after all it is just a light weight table top. By the far smallest lathe I've ever used.[/QUOTE]

It's a little baby South Bend......It will be as rigid as your average rubber band.

Back