What's new
What's new

Just bought a South Bend 13" lathe

CarlosFreitas

Plastic
Hi fellow forum users.

I just got a South Bend 13" Lathe, and had paid something like Us$ 650 on it. The good thing is that I gave a motorcicle to the person who was the owner, and that motorcicle came to me for US$ 65.... ten times less... So, wasnt a bad deal at all... I think...

So, I'm new for this machines, and I really always wanted to have a lathe, so... now I have one :-/

I readed a lot here at the forums, so, as a starting point, I will ppost some pictures of the lathe, to hear the thoughts of other users, as I already saw that I have problems to deal with in this lathe :

Big wear in some parts ( visible at the pictures ) The beds *look* ok.
A gear is lacking a dent
All dials have some backlash.

The thing is very ugly and my wife just "loved" it.

I'm aware of the book about refurbishing 10, 13 and 16 lathes on ebay and it looks to be a good starting point.

I plan to work with something on metal turning, basically I love CNC, and i'm looking to make something diferent as a job, mainly because I just lost some of the one I have.

So, any tips, used parts that can be usefull, ideas, anything ... are very welcome.

The pics of my ( as my wife calls it ) monster :

_DSC0004.jpg_DSC0003.jpg_DSC0005.jpg_DSC0006.jpg_DSC0007.jpg

Last edited:
Not the South Bend expert here by any means.....just a warning :D

Looks like you have a production style stop, that's a nice feature but I hope your lathe was not used in production, if so the bed is for sure worn low. I can't read the sticker under your leadscrew, but it looks like the "flame hardened ways" sticker. If the ways at the tailstock end do not have wavy scraping marks, then you have a hardened bed. Also has a camlock spindle, both nice features. get yourself familiar with proper oiling and lubrication instructions, adjust the bearings, and she will be a good machine for you. I have a 13" also (love it) but you really got a nice 13.

Taper atachment also ,lucky guy. Edit your profile so your location shows in your posts,required here. Get the book and read up on it.

I can't read the sticker under your leadscrew, but it looks like the "flame hardened ways" sticker. If the ways at the tailstock end do not have wavy scraping marks, then you have a hardened bed.
Hi Spyderedge.
Yes, thats what the sticker says, Flame Hardened, and the ways have some minor scratches and dents, but very few of them here and there. No wavy marks,
Thankyou for passing by :)

I have a 13 inch South Bend with no taper attachment, buy the looks of it never did.??

Back