What's new
What's new

just got a lathe

melsdad

Plastic
I now own a south bend lathe. it is very dirty. but it runs and seems to function well. I am a little confused by the way the motor is mounted. doing a Google image search I don't see any lathes that look this way. it looks like a retrofit of some type (cullman). I am also not sure if this is a 9" or a 10" machine? Any information would be appreciated!
e8fe452b670a59e96f5a46593e75cfa5.jpg
be7bcb074c63812535ede30b97589cee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know what accessories you got with it but if you are in the need for change gears I believe I can help you out with some. They look like 14dp. You will have to measure yours to be sure. Yours has horizontal and crossfeed with out the QCGB. Remember not to close half nuts with horizontal feed engaged. It may have a safety device built in to prevent that from happening.

I don't know what accessories you got with it but if you are in the need for change gears I believe I can help you out with some. They look like 14dp. You will have to measure yours to be sure. Yours has horizontal and crossfeed with out the QCGB. Remember not to close half nuts with horizontal feed engaged. It may have a safety device built in to prevent that from happening.

I hope to go through things this weekend. There was a bucket with gears in it, and some other tooling. How many gears would be a complete set for this machine? Thanks for the offer on the gears! I will let you know.

I hope to go through things this weekend. There was a bucket with gears in it, and some other tooling. How many gears would be a complete set for this machine? Thanks for the offer on the gears! I will let you know.

I may be wrong - its been over fifty years - but I think my twenties Series O 13" X 5 had 16 DP gears

Good stuff here - pdf page 17 shows an even dozen, and pdf page 19 lists them on the threading chart

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/1913_catalog/1913_catalog.pdf

Last edited:
I've never seen a Cullman on a South Bend before. It's cool. The whole lathe looks "dirty" in the right kind of way, like it's ready to get back to work. Congrats on your new acquisition.

I had some time to finally do some cleaning. I'm assuming at one time they did not cast "southbend" or the date into the bed. I feel I should have found this by now with the scraping I have done. I also found the the crosslide was broken and repaired at some point.
48c2032643731bdcde2eee2f642899e4.jpg
7cb986bd7c8542c3886021b25914d64e.jpg
49a67f60d8c9ad1e12ec0a83808d21ae.jpg
ac61ec54762cf3af30fe0c8f000c47b4.jpg
3c138ee61f20643dfa7faa6553679f43.jpg

Should be a serial number down at the tailstock end of the bed,in the flat area between the carriage and tailstock ways.
yes I found that it is 8053. I watched a youtube video where the guy showed the date cast into the bed of the day it was cast.

I see a raised section inside of the flat tailstock way...is that by design, or is that bed wear?

Back