What's new
What's new

Just purchased my 9A

Armorer1984

Aluminum
So here is my new toy, a 9x24 SB, Ser# 14133NAR9. Purchased it from a guy in Milford, NE who inherited it from his father.

Overall it seems to be in good mechanical shape under the dirt that accumulated over the last who-knows-how-many decades. He said his father had the motor rebuilt a long time ago and never used it since. As dirty as the motor is, it leads me to believe that it has been sitting in his garage unused for a loooong time. Paid $400 for it, the bench it's mounted on, 4 drawers full of tooling and 4 5-gallon buckets full of tooling. Dozens of tool bits, knurling attachment, milling attachment, numerous 3 & 4 jaw chucks, collet draw bar, multiple drill chucks, hundreds of drill bits, and other things I have yet to identify. The ways seem to be in great shape, there is still some frosting left in the high-use areas. Only 2 very minor dings right under the chuck. So I think I stumbled across a very good deal.

So I ordered up a felt rebuild kit and some spindle oil. For grins and giggles I threw in some 20w electric motor oil in all the bearing cups and fired it up for a trial run. Runs beautifully, very little backlash. The one issue I found is that the change gear cover door pin is loose in it's babbitt, causing the cover to rub against the spindle take-up nut. Not looking forward to resetting it, but it has to be done. My goal is to strip the ol girl down and give it a full restoration. But for now felts, belts and getting it roughly cleaned up will have to do. I have parts I need to make. :)

Congrats on the new lathe and for a really good buy I would say. Looks like it hasn't been used much at all I see a lot of scraping is still showing always a good thing to see. Looking forward to seeing this on all cleaned up.

Brian Milner

Heading out to purchase some oil for the old girl. My God that stuff is expensive. My local petroleum dealer will only sell Mobil DTE-24 & 26 by the 5-gallon pail. Going to have to put on the chain-mail underwear for finding way lube.

The suggestion, given to me, on this forum, is to block up the change gear door into the correct closed position
And heat the hinge, with a propane torch. This will melt the Babbitt and be tight, again.

Nice find, take good care of her and she will take good care of you eh.

FWIW have/had the same issue with the gear door on my 9A.....I put a length of hockey stick shaft under the change gear door in 2007, it's still there 7+ years later, door is always in correct position, never a worry, I don't need no stinkin' babbitt eh

Best,
T2

Back