What's new
What's new

Kind Of Off Topic - Clausing

Rick_B

Stainless
I've been thinking about a Clausing lathe but I don't see a specific forum for Clausing? Are these lathes prohibited from discussion here? If not - any thoughts on Clausing versus South Bend. I would be trading a SB heavy 9 for the clausing.

Thanks
Rick

Rick, what model Clausing? I helped a friend of mine put a series 100 into running shape recently. Lucky I have my 10L,making or modifying parts can be the order of the day due to scarcity. I think they made a good machine however,the mechanisms are fairly straight forward, (at least on his...)pretty robust,almost crude compared to my heavy 10. Set screws hold stuff rather than taper pins. Hope this helps,post pictures. Jim

Thanks for the link Chad. That information seems to indicate that it is a fairly well built lathe. In terms of comparison to my heavy 9 it has what appears to be taper roller bearings versus the cast iron bearings in mine. It also has the same spindle thread and accepts the same 5C collets. It does not have (at least I don't think it does) power feed on the cross slide.

Rick

If it has step pulleys and not variable speed, then you have a big advantage: you won't ever have to rebuild the variable speed unit. I think my dad still has nightmares.

It takes 5C collets in the spindle with an adapter. See if you can get the adapter. There was also a 3MT adapter available.

There is a hardinge collet chuck on it. It may be for bigger collets like a 2J or 3J.

Steve

I discovered it is indeed a 5400 series machine - specifically a 5418 - I'm guessing the 18 refers to center to center distance? The chucks that are included have back plates with a 2-1/4 x 8 thread which led me to conclude it has a threaded spindle nose. How hard should I be pushing back on the $700 price - given that the whole thing will require a complete tear down and rebuild.

Rick

Thanks Chad = the serial number of the lathe is 001985 - I haven't found a serial number listing yet for Clausing.

So no one has really expressed an opinion regarding the comparison to a south bend heavy 9 - would you consider the Clausing an upgrade, lateral move or down grade? Also - the price seems a bit high based on condition but I am looking for other opinions on this aspect.

Thanks
Rick

A Clausing 5418 is 12 3/4" swing and 23" between centers. The tailstock should have a MT3 with 3" of spindle travel. Catalog shows ship wt. at 1050 lb. It looks like the drawers are missing, unless they have them somewhere else. I own both brands of lathes and would say that the Clausing is definitely not a downgrade if it is in good condition. The Sjogren collet chuck is a nice accessory. The spindle seems to be a curiosity, as previously stated it should be 2 1/4" - 8, but picture really looks like an L series spindle. I don't think I could make a decision until I had put eyes and hands on the lathe. Where I am, $700 would be a reasonable price given that it has a 3J, 4J, and collet chuck.

photos are terrible, but if it is not rusted or worn out its worth the $700.00. The last Clausing 5400 lathe I saw for sale
was $1000, in faxed I went to look at it and make a offer but it sold for the asking price before I could get there after work...

I'm really leanng towards this lathe although I suspect the seller isn't goingto cme off his price. Given a 12-3/4 swing - does that put it out of range for an AXA tool post? It seems 12" is the uoper limit for the AXA and I would need to go to a BXA? Also - still looking for opinions regarding clausing versus southbend.

Thanks
Rick

In my opinion the Clausing lathe is an upgrade. Especially over the wide 9" or even a well tooled heavy 10. If I remember right the Clausings of this model all had hard beds, roller bearing spindles and heavier beds then the heavy 10 South bend, if one showed up around here for $700 I would be all over it. It does appear to have a L00 tapered nose, it also has a proper cam lock tailstock.

I'm really leanng towards this lathe although I suspect the seller isn't goingto cme off his price. Given a 12-3/4 swing - does that put it out of range for an AXA tool post? It seems 12" is the uoper limit for the AXA and I would need to go to a BXA? Also - still looking for opinions regarding clausing versus southbend.

I think my dad has a BXA on his. It's definitely not AXA.

Steve

Back